Help needed for used Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by caspergirl, Oct 14, 2018.

1. caspergirl macrumors regular

Hello guys, I’m looking to buy one Apple Watch S2. There is one advert of one watch without any sign of use in the screen BUT there is issue with the colour in the back of the watch near the sensor. I will attach photos but I would like to know if this is a common issue with S2 and of course if this is likely to cause issues in the sensor
    The seller saying it works perfectly but I’m a little bit worried

Attached Files:

2. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

That don’t look good. What is the selling price? I’ve had my Series 2 for 2 years and mine look nothing like that. In fact I have no scratches on the back nor the front and screen. I have the Aluminum Rose Gold and it still looks brand new.

3. caspergirl thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm this is what I thought. The guy who selling this has as a starting price the amount of 100. I have a budget put to 150 (the watch is just for the gym etc) and I had to chose between a very nice series 1 or this s2. I guess better to go with s1

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have never seen discoloring like that on the back of any Apple Watch.

5. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

My Space Gray S2 42mm looks nothing like that, the case is in pristine condition. I think you should keep looking for another because you'll likely find one within your budget. For context, Apple was offering me $150 for trade in at launch which has since dropped as of yesterday to $115. Again, for a 42mm.

6. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Judging by the radial pattern, I'd say heat stress has cracked/crazed the anodized layer.

Maybe the charger has been overheating? Heat would make the aluminum body expand. The anodized layer on top expands/contracts at a different rate compared to the metal underneath it. Something has to give - and so the grey anodized layer cracks. It even looks like bits of it are flaking off.

I wouldn't buy that watch. It must've got really hot.

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Definitely do not buy.

You might want to look at refurbished Series 1 on the Apple website with a 1 year warranty.
    The only real difference between Series 1 and Series 2 is that Series 2 is waterproof and has GPS.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/apple_watch

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I can’t imagine the back of the watch can get that scratched. Something is definitely not right.

9. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

And it looks manky as hell! Couldn’t the seller clean that thing before taking pictures!? Yuck - I’d stay away from that, plenty more available in much better condition.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Strange. It almost looks like the anodizing from the aluminum is separating/cracking into forms of ‘spider-webbing’ along side the sensor area. There has to be better deals on used Apple Watches than this.