Help needed guys - Start up disk

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by natejones1, May 12, 2011.

1. natejones1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am upgrading and trying to sell my Macbook to another Apple lover. I wanted to reformat the whole hard drive and re-install the OS for him.

I have input my original disk and tried the following ways to choose it as a start up disk.

Holding 'C' on boot up.
    Holding 'Option' and selecting
    Via System Applications.

Holding 'C' just didnt work.
    Holding 'Option' returned a circle with a cross through it.
    System applications returned the error 'The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk'

Please help. I am currently running 10.6.7 and my disk is 10.6.3 but i didnt think this would be an issue. I have no hard drive i could attempt to boot from. The disk opens up in finder etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Nathan

2. HackerJL macrumors regular

Does the disc drive work?

Try another disk?

3. natejones1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah its fine because it reads the disk after the OS has booted up etc. I can install the OS software from there but i need to format the hard drive as well.

4. HackerJL macrumors regular

Well no, you cant reinstall from there, that disc just sets up your startup disc and reboots to that disc.

Have an external DVD drive?

5. natejones1 thread starter macrumors newbie

No i dont. I cant understand how it lets me run installation within the OS but not from start up? It must be something to do with the disk but its a retail copy?!

6. HackerJL macrumors regular

Agreed, weird. Do you have another mac you can try using its CDROM via target disk mode (I think)

7. natejones1 thread starter macrumors newbie

No i am afraid i dont. I tried to install from the disc within OS X then and it cut off mid installation.

8. HackerJL macrumors regular

That makes me think there is a disk or DVDrom issue underlying. Sorry mate, I run into this problem every once in a while with a dirty disc, using a usb dvdrom drive gets me out of the pinch.

9. ed724 macrumors regular

You need the original disks that came with the machine to restore it. Which version of Macbook do you have ?

10. whatmary macrumors newbie

erase and reinstall question

is this actually the case? if my machine shipped with leopard, can I use a full version snow leopard (or leopard) disc to erase and reinstall, or must I use the original discs and then upgrade?

(I too am having issues wiping a hard drive clean -- the machine just continuously reboots when I put in a full version leopard disc. I haven't hunted down the original boot discs yet.)

thanking you so much.