Help needed in file tx from MBP with blacked out screen to ext. HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zambie, Jan 8, 2010.

1. zambie macrumors newbie

just got off the phone with Apple .... seems like I might have a cursed NVIDIA graphics card...
    had basically kept my MBP ('07 model) in sleep mode when I went to office. When i came back, the white light in the front wasn't pulsing anymore and it was replaced by a bright constant white light - proceeded to open the lid... and the screen was totally dark ... tried a few key combinations in random to get it up and running but to no avail .. then checked a few forums on this issue... seems like lots of ppl have the issue but a lot of them also managed to get the screen back on by resetting the SMC and PRAM (which I proceeded to try) ... unfortunately hasn't worked for me despite multipe resets of the SMC and PRAM. Gave Apple a call and all things point to the graphics card having conked out ... this sucks big time!! ...
    The worst thing is that after switching on my machine, I can still load software by doing the keyboard shortcut for spotlight and typing the application ... e.g. itunes is working and I'm still managing to play songs through myh machine.. only issue is that the display is totally dark...
    Now.. my big issue before I send it across to the service centre is backing up my "Downloads" folder....
    Can someone help me with how I can go about doing this through terminal ? I think I just might be able to pull it off with the keyboard if I get sufficient and specific help!!!!
    basically I'm looking for transfer of all contents from "Downloads" folder to an external hard disk with the name "Active" ...
    help would be greatly appreciated!

Any suggestions on methods of backing up my data would be great!!...
    Also, are there any precautions I should be taking/ things I ought to be wary of when sending my machine in to an authorized service centre?

2. csdibiase macrumors member

In your shoes, I would head out to my local computer parts store and get a usb or firewire drive enclosure, pull the drive out of the afflicted computer, place in enclosure and extract data as necessary.

trying to make the copy via blind terminal commands would be ... tricky.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Or instead of buying an enclosure, you could simply connect it to a desktop computer if you have one available to open. I am still surprised you are able to use the computer blind.