Help needed in finding HD enclosure for sata hdd.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MinorBidoh, Aug 30, 2009.

1. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Hey all,

After dismantling my beloved iMac G5, I have the 250GB SATA150 HDD from it and looking for an enclosure with FW400. I've been trawling the net and seem to find very little under the 'sata enclosure 3.5'. Does anyone here have any advice where to find said products, or indeed links to their own which they like. Looks doesn't really matter as it'll be in a cupboard. Im in the UK btw.

Thanks,
    Bidoh

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

eBay.

3. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Have a look at these - fan, internal PSU, USB 2.0 and FW400 ports, stackable and vertical or horizontal operation. Will take a 5.25" SATA drive (like a Blu-ray writer!!) too.

4. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Ta mooblie, appreciated. I've just put an order in for two. Never really trusted eBay.

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

You're welcome. BTW: if you want to occasionally swap your SATA 3.5" drives around, this Icy Dock unit fits that enclosure perfectly and takes NAKED SATA 3.5" drives, without tools, screws, brackets or caddies.

It makes people's eye bulge when you swap drives. Very classy. (But not hot-swap - I'd never try that.)

Being a heavy video-user, I use this all the time.

6. MinorBidoh thread starter macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

The Mac Power drives arrived from Span today and they work a treat. Files now backed up and the in the cupboard hackintosh is on the way. No need for me to swap these around moobile, they are shelved & hidden away from sight. I'm sure they'll stay there for a while. Installation of the HDDs btw took less than 30 seconds each. Thanks for the recommendation.

Next is whether to stick with the iPod HiFi or buy the Bose Companion 5s.