Help needed in installing Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Dazzystar, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Dazzystar macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a USB thumb drive with Mavericks and I've tried to install 3 times now on my late 2009 iMac (new HDD fitted) and each time it gets to around 1 second to complete then goes back up to a few hours, then back down to a few seconds, etc.

Any ideas as to what's happening here?

Daz

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

Hmm... maybe start the install early in the morning, and then leave it run all day.

Installing from a thumb drive can take a LONG long time.

That's why, when I reinstalled Mavericks after stupidly installing Yosemite, I chose to install from an actual hard drive (external drive).

3. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

How do you install it from a hard drive? Like, do you have to follow the same procedure as when you create a bootable USB installer?

I have the OSX installer on an external hard drive. I have two other drives, one SSD, one normal drive. The SSD should be the boot drive. Can I simply open the installer from my external HDD and it will install Mavericks? :)

I don't want to install from my bootable USB drive because someone told me something is wrong with my OS X. I don't know how you can do something wrong here, but I prefer to be on the safe side.