Help needed; Macbook Plastic, trying to install windows 7 on it. Total fiasco!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jabberwalki, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Jabberwalki macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook plastic, 2.4 GHz intel core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram.
    My Mac is currently running on OS X, i used to have a 40 gig partition Windows XP, a couple of friends of mine where talking about how much they liked Windows 7 and finally i had had enough blue screens to say, sure ill switch, why not?... assuming it would not take longer then lets say a day at most, i set off on my quest.

FWI, im running an older model Macbook that was bought refurbished (not sure if that has anything to do with my problem). anyway i removed my previous partition, then using Boot Camp Assistant i repartitioned a 40 gig section for Windows 7. Then ran the installer. I have a copy of Windows 7 ultimate 86x. The Windows boot screen turned up, i had to reformat the partition so that i could install, no problems there. after all said and done the installation worked perfectly, up to a point...

First problem that appeared was the lack of sound. i fixed that by downloading Realtek's High Def sound drivers.

Then it was the rest of the drivers for the macbook. heres where i run into my problem, i have the Mac OSX install discs 1 and 2. inserting the first disc the option of the auto run of the setup popped up i clicked run. and instead of the same old install drivers option all i have is the option to install the software that lets macbook airs share cd/dvd drives... needless to say i got frustrated and to put it lightly pissed off...

unsure of wtf was going on i looked it up online and really couldnt find anyone with the same problem, i found a web page saying that i should have the windows auto update itself and that should fix the problem. it did not. i dont know what the hell is going on. and im about this close ( ) to reinstalling windows xp and telling windows 7 to go **** itself...

anyone know whats going on? why does it think my OSX install disc 1 has only the macbook air "things"

Yours truly

-Frustrated Macbook user

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

when you put in the OSX dvd, make sure you don't let it autorun. open it in my computer and run the setup that should be right there. do not run any of the ones in the folders.

3. Jabberwalki thread starter macrumors newbie

just tried this, right clicked on disk, open in new window, double clicked on the setup, and up pops these two options.

(1) Remote install OS X:
    use this application to reinstall mac OS X and other software on your Macbook Air.
    You can also use this application to open disk utility or apple hardware test you Macbook Air

(2) DVD or CD sharing

install this software on this computer to allow macbook air users on your network to share this computer's DVD or CD drive.

why does it think my comp is a Macbook Air??

4. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

Yours may be set up differently than mine since it's a slightly different model. Is there a folder on the dvd called Boot Camp? If so, there should be a setup.exe in that folder that will install your drivers.

5. ravenousllama macrumors member