Help Needed, my iPod has become an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by krateein, Oct 11, 2007.

1. krateein macrumors newbie

my iTunes is confusing my iPod for an iPhone

When trying to sync I get the error

The software required for iPhone is not installed. RUn the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again

This is really annoying me, could it be that i stopped the jailbreaking process halfway through? I have tried restoring it but it will not work, i hold home and power untill teh apple appears but iTunes wont recognize the iPod

HELP!

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

lol, all these "help, i f'd my ipod up" messages are making me laugh. sorry bro, guess thats the chance you took

3. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

But peopeel have had this problem before trying to jailbreak the iPod, it's on the apple discussion forums, however the only fix given is to make sure you have service pack 2 installed, however i am using vista ...

4. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

try another computer :) maybe that would do something, i dont know.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

apparently if you hold the sleep/power button and home button , when the logo appears keep hold of the home button but release the sleep/power button. this should force you ipod into a restore when its connected to your computer.

6. krateein thread starter macrumors newbie

it should have done, but it wasn't. I took Arisian's advice and used another computer, it is working fine now

7. 864646 macrumors regular

this happened to me too all i did was copy the itunesmobuile.dl thing into the same folder as the setup.exe. once i conected the ipod it couldnt recognize it sayin the ERRROORR i have another pc but dont want to keep usin my other one. is there any way to fix the pc i am currently using...btw it works on my other pc

8. 864646 macrumors regular

ok nvm i fixed that but now when i want to restore my ipod back to factory settings it gives me the error: software for this ipod is currently not available. Make sure you have the latest version of itunes and try again. but i do have the latest version: 7.4.3
    wat do i dooooooo

9. JoshHerrick macrumors newbie

This Error ususally is the result of trying to Jailbreak your iPod Touch.
    When you are on Step 4: "4. Copy iTunesMobileDevice.dll from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin" you only move the file.

So to fix this:
    1. Goto your iPhuc folder / Goto your touchless install folder
    2. Find iTunesMobileDevice.dll and right click, select copy
    3. Open an explorer window to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin
    4. Right click on any white space, and select paste.
    5. Restart Itunes

That is how you fix it.

10. 864646 macrumors regular

can you break your touch permanently from jailbreaking??

11. JoshHerrick macrumors newbie

First off, your Ipod is not broken.
    Second, with this version of Firmware (1.1.1) restoring with said firmware will not cause your Ipod to be broken.
    No one knows if 1.1.2 will break the Touches

12. 864646 macrumors regular

i accidently deleted the itunesmobiledevice.dll. and cant restore.. but can i just donwload the dll file sepreately and use that?

13. JoshHerrick macrumors newbie

I'm not sure. It might be hardcoded to each iTunes. Best bet would prolly be to uninstall iTunes, and delete all iTunes related registries. Then reinstall, and it should replace the dll.

Just simply reinstalling it won't bring back the dll file.