Help Needed - Network Diagram App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChaosAngel, Jan 29, 2012.

1. ChaosAngel macrumors member

Hi all,

I appreciate this is a common question (especially when searching Google), however I've never come across the perfect answer.

I'm looking for a Network Diagram application for the Mac, something similar to Microsoft Visio. Most of the feedback I have received points to OmniGraffle or CorelDRAW, but I find both of these applications a little heavy and expensive.

Instead I'm looking for a little "does one thing well" application, something that the Mac normally has plenty of options for (I'm thinking like Coda, etc).

Are there any great little Mac applications for network diagrams that anyone can recommend?

Cheers,

Matt.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If you want open source then either DIA or Inkscape will do the job - plenty of templates floating around for them.

3. steveoc macrumors regular

You might try Diagammix. They have a 15 day demo with a watermark. It costs about $20. It is also available in the App store.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only one that comes to mind is OmniGraffle but you already mentioned that option, so I'm at a loss.

Would running Visio by way of Vmware be an option?

5. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try out Dia and Diagammix to see if they fit what I am looking for.

Regarding running Visio in a VM, this is what I currently do. The experience is ok, but I would really like a native Mac option.

Any others?

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Maybe try MindNode? Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The nearest Mac equivalent to Visio is Omnigraffle, which in my opinion is better. I know it's not cheap, but it can import Visio files.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can see how that would be less then ideal, but if it works, at least you're not stuck without any solution.

9. ChaosAngel thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I'm starting to think along the same lines. I just downloaded the 14 day trial and the app is starting to sell itself to me.

I still feel like there is a gap in the market for a "Mac like" network diagram application. Something elegant, simple and cost effective that can be sold to the masses on the App Store. Any developers want to give it a go? :D

----------

Yep, it's what I have been using for the past few years, but once every so often I come back to look for a native Mac option. I'm confident that one day the perfect app wil appear ;)

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The Omni Group are a great Mac App developer and the iPad version of Omnigraffle is excellent as well, and a lot cheaper. I use OmniGraffle a lot for flow charts.

11. exegete77 macrumors 6502a