Help needed - new SSD drive not recognised by SATA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jooose, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jooose macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 13" mid-2009 MBP 2.26ghz. All hardware is still factory standard except for the RAM which is now 4GB from Crucial. It's running the latest version of Lion.

I purchased a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD with the intention of replacing the existing Toshiba HDD. Initially I connected the new SSD via a SATA>USB cable and formatted, then did a clean install of Snow Leopard using the DVD which came with the MBP. All went well and I am able to boot to the SSD happily via USB. The problem comes when I attempt to install the drive internally via the SATA cable - the drive is not recognised at all. Attempting to boot results in a blank white screen. If I boot to the Snow Leopard DVD first it starts the install program, but does not recognise the SSD when it comes to choosing a drive to install to. If I swap the HDD back in it is recognised by the SATA fine, and the SSD via USB is still recognised fine also...therefore the SATA cable is working properly - but perhaps not compatible with the Samsung 830?

I have reached the end of my (limited) technical knowledge and despite numerous similar queries can't find any information on the web, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Rileyx2 macrumors member

I am new to the forums, but I have been following the Samsung 830 problems for the last week or so. I do not know if this would help alleviate your specific issue(s), but on the Samsung 830 thread there have been some users mentioning problems with aftermarket RAM modules. (If you care to view said problems on the first and second pages of the thread, here is the link.) If you have access to the original RAM modules that came with your Mac, I would suggest putting those back in (for the time being) and then trying to boot from the SSD using the internal SATA connection. From what I've read, there may be a correlation between problems with mixing aftermarket component brands, but it may be worth a shot. Hopefully it helps you!

3. Jooose thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much - it's certainly worth a try so I'll give that a go later!

4. Jooose thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Rileyx2 macrumors member

Hmm. At this point maybe you wait a little while longer (a day or so) and see if anybody replies to this thread. After that, try calling an Apple Certified Service Provider and see if they can help you out. Best of luck!