Help Needed On Buying A New Notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eric Noa, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Hello,

This is my first time here, and Im going to be buying a new NoteBook, But Im having trouble deciding which one to buy. I love the Mac Book Air because of its size, but the MacBook and The Macbook Pro are also really good. Money is not an obstacle, which one would you recommend me to buy??

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It really depends on what your computing needs actually are (you don't really say). If you prize portability over all else, then the MBA is for you. If, on the other hand, you are into gaming, need a superb screen, great performance and plenty of power, then try the MBP (I have one, it's an excellent machine and I'm very happy with it), but there is a penalty, which is the higher price (which you say does not bother you) and the fact that it is the heaviest of the notebook computers made by Apple - portable, but not as light as the others.

The MB is also an excellent machine, in some ways a very good compromise, but the screen is still inferior to that of the MBP, and those who like gaming (I'm not one) say that the MB is not as good as the MBP in that respect. At the end of the day, it's your call, but for further advice, you'd need to give some indication of what your computing needs actually are.

Cheers and good luck

3. goobimama macrumors regular

You must make the decision yourself based on what you need the notebook for. We could make it for you, only if you giveus a little more information on what you will be using this for and such.

Also check out this guide for choosing your macbook and see if it helps.

4. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Thank you all for the reply's. First of all, Im not into the computer games, so I will not be using it for playing games. I have been reading a few post on this forum and it seems that the MBA has a bit of a problem when it comes to cooling down, and that it heats up too fast. That makes me think twice before deciding for the MBA because I spend almost all day on the computer and if Im going to have temperature problems, its better not to get it. Thats what I think, you guys tell as you have more experience.

I will mostly be using the Notebook, surfing the internet, doing school work (College Student) Also I do a little bit of graphic designs. Thats pretty much what I use a computer for other than the common things you use a computer for.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you don't need the power it is always a better idea to save money and go with the MB. The MBA is definitely lighter, but not by that much. If you need a powerful graphics card and a very high quality screen go with the MBP. I'd recommend the MB for a good all around computer at a better price. If you don't need the keyboard backlight go with the 1299 model.

Edit: I see you don't need the graphics card. My new Macbook runs very cool with this aluminum. I use it all day long and it never gets hot. I haven't heard the fans go higher than their normal idle 2000RPM.

Since you are a college student, it should be up to you whether you want the 1249 model (save 50) or the 1499 model (save 100) with the ed discount. Also, don't forget to get your free printer with the rebate.

6. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Brop52, Im in the apple online store, but I dont see the models,

Also whats the differences between the normal harddrive and the 128GB Solid State Drive

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

He's referring to the models by price. If you aren't in the US Apple store, that's probably why you don't see them.

8. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

WOW, I couldn't figure that out. LOL. I got it now. Thanks

9. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Well guys after a long time on thinking and decide to go with the 15" MBP... The 2,499 model.....

I have one question..How long should I charge it before turning it on, Also I had before an IBM and I always let it plug in even if it was completely charge, but after a while if I would disconnected it the battery wouldn't last long, what do you recommend me to do, unplug my new MBP once its charge?

10. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

12. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

I have another issue, When I bought the MBP I also purchase Office 2008 but I made the stupid mistake of getting the update version and not the full version, and now I can returned it because I removed the plastic cover and its consider open and they just wont returned, so $300 down the drain.:(

Is there any way that I can download a trial version and use my Serial # from the one I bought? Or do you guys know of something else I can do? :(

13. emac82 macrumors 6502

If you end up having to buy another version - buy the Student & Teacher Edition, it's dirt cheap....and it's the full version.

14. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

Anybody knows if I can download a trial version, and then use my serial number from the upgrade version to upgrade it?

15. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

16. Eric Noa thread starter macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

I solved the problem with the Office 2008, Just went to the store and the guy help me, He let me get the full version.

Here r some pics of the MBP

Attached Files: