Help needed on buying a second hand iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by enochpeng, Oct 3, 2008.

1. enochpeng macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me that if a refub iMac's serial number will actually tell it's a refurb one.

Im buying a used iMac off craigslist so i've been wondering if it's a refurb or not. (since it doesn't have the boxes)

Thanks

2. G5power macrumors 6502

I don't believe that you tell that on the Apple site. It will show if the computer is still under warranty.

If you are buying on CL make sure you see the computer in person and take a few minutes to power it up and watch it boot and check it out.

Last year I found what was advertised as a G5 PowerMac 2.0 and worked out a deal to buy it. When I went to see the computer I noticed that the fans ran excessively loud and when I looked closely at the specs under About this Mac I realized that it showed a single 2.0 GHz processor. Looking inside the motherboard was only for a single processor. So somehow it was a 1.8 Single processor motherboard either over clocked or with a 2.0 processor. I bailed on that deal in a hurry.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yes, refurbs get a new serial number indicating they're refurbed. Be damned careful with craigslist.

4. enochpeng thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys.
    I will try to be very careful. But one thing is still not clear weather it shows it's a refurb or not on apple's site.

I had a refurb iPod but when I checked online about the warranty status it shows nothing different to a "normal" one.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

No box, ect, could also mean that it was stolen....

Just don't send them a cashiers check or money order, ok? ;)