Help needed on remounting external LaCie d2 quadra hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Davyovibes, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Davyovibes macrumors newbie

I cannot resolve this conflict has somebody the knowledge to put it right please? This is the story as posted to LaCie (who have not replied):

Mac Pro OSX 10.4.11 Intel based, 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

This is not an initial install. The Device LaCie d2 Quadra shows up in the Apple System Profiler under firewire - d2 quadra (button), etc.

I closed down my applications after saving my work but my concentration was disturbed and I forgot to eject the LaCie before switching it off. I switched the LaCie off and an Apple warning message came up saying I had not switched it off properly and I may have lost data, etc. I turned the Lacie back on and the icon would not appear. I tried switching it on and off, changing cables and power supply but still it would not come up. The blue light comes on as normal and you can hear it powering up but I cannot access it on my computer anymore.

My LaCie appears in Disc Utility but is grayed out. I tried eject and it ejected but after reboot with no other fire wire cables attached to the computer it still did not mount and Disc Utility could not mount it either. I guess this is a common problem when you do not dismount properly. I ran a trial version of Data Rescue and it found files and folders (that are mainly audio) on LaCie D2 but I have not transferred them to another disc. Please can you advise my best course of action as it contains master recordings for release.

To LaCie: Please, my question has not been answered and I am in the middle of a production. This is urgent hope you understand.

Disk Utility stopped repairing “LaCie” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit 1 HFS volume checked 1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Verifying volume “LaCie” Checking HFS Plus volume. Checking Extents Overflow file. Checking Catalog file. Invalid node structure The volume LaCie needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “LaCie” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit 1 HFS volume checked Volume needs repair

2. rtrt, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

LaCie customer service are practically non existant. They took 2 weeks to generate an answer to my request for help. They have no telefone support for end customers. They simply are a PITA. Stay away from the brand if you are a professional.

Best advise at this point is going to your LaCIe sales rep because he will have access to LaCie tech service. My LaCIe 2Big NAS had the internal server stalled and the manual did not tell how to bring it back on line. I returned the bugger and got my money back. The rep got LaCie to check procedures and they told him how to reset. This is just an example how bad these folks are.

If you cannot get LaCie to help you, you have option 2 to take the drive out of the enclosure. It will probably be a SATA drive which is just adapted to the FW enclosure. Fit it in a Mac Pro and try if it gets recognized by disk utility. If it is an IDE HDD you can try to interface with a USB adapter.

If all fails try professional help but be prepared to be left bleeding several big ones.

4. rtrt, Sep 22, 2009
  5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Good move! I considered that as well but did not know if the Mac firmware is fit for it. Apple tend to be real "smart" in reducing standard functionalities of their firmware to what is actually used by their configuration.

6. rtrt, Sep 22, 2009