help needed please?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GayLeader, Dec 16, 2011.

1. GayLeader macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum, I'm normally active on other Apple forums but since I couldn't get answers there I thought I try here.

I was using an iPhone 4, iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken Greenpoison up to about 2 months ago when I switched to the Samsung Galaxy S2 as it was free from my company. I thought I would keep the iPhone and give it to my sister or just sell it on ebay.

Anyway I cleaned it and kept it in the original box in my drawer, and just a few minutes ago I realised there was still some info in the phone I needed. I have not reformatted the phone yet. However, although I charged my phone to 100% before keeping it, I could not turn on the phone.

Connected it to the laptop, it stuck in a loop between a black screen and the Apple logo.

Connected to mains charger, it started, battery life was indeed 100%, but then it was stuck on the lockscreen, with the 'slide to unlock' only giving me option for emergency call. Shows no service. Tried a hard reset, couldn't do so.

Any ideas guys? :(

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're sure you didnt click the "erase all content and settings" option on the phone?

3. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

Very sure. I wanted to keep the jailbreak on for the next user which is why I didn't erase anything. Furthermore, will that matter? =/

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

An erase all content and settings would produce the symptoms you're experiencing. Are you absolutely positive that you did not do this?

5. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

100% sure. In fact, the lockscreen is still my jailbroken themed lockscreen. What are the steps to take if settings etc have been erased? Can I do the same steps for this problem as well?:confused:

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

7. Josh267 macrumors newbie

Hey i recently bought a iphone 3gs off my friends because mine broke. i have a year until my upgrade so i needed it. it is unlocked. i tried to restore it on my itunes but it made the screen on the phone solid white and now itunes is saying it can not read my sim card. the phone did work, i used it for about a week before trying this. can you help please?

8. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I do that if the phone can only start if I connect it to the mains? Once I unplug it, it switches off.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then it sounds like a hardware problem if it shuts off every time you unplug.

10. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

wtf....sigh. I just left it in the box for 2 months and this is what happens -.-

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Sounds like you have a "tethered" jailbreak, In which case you have to re-run the program you jailbroke with a select "just boot tethered" or words to that effect. If you need more help you can PM me.

Also next time you should post anything remotely jailbreak related in the Iphone hacks forum.

12. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

nah it is definitely not a jailbreak problem. i've used the iphone for over a year, rebooted it, on and off on planes, meetings etc with no problems.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Try exiting recovery mode in tiny umbrella. If that doesn't work then I'm afraid a DFU restore sounds like the only option.

14. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

Right...but how can I do that as I can't turn on my phone once I disconnect it from the mains charger? :confused:

15. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I believe your phone battery is toasted. Ifixit.com has tutorial on how to replace this and it will take about 10 minutes.

16. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Or assuming he still has warranty or apple care, i would restore it and bring it into the apple shop.

17. GayLeader thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm i'll try ifixit for extra info. thanks for suggesting a *probable* answer finally :)