help needed please

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by roccogls, Dec 29, 2009.

1. roccogls macrumors newbie

i was putting songs onto my 32gb ipod touch i had a few album covers but only a hand full now after reading about this taking up space in my others file, this was at 93 mb so i cleared all album art and re sync, but now my others folder shows 196mb how do i clear this tried a restore twice but no good.

when i go into settings, general,about its shows capacity 29.3gb available 29.1gb

pls help !

how do i delete all traces of itunes as keeps coming up with other data beleted all apple programmes from pc uninstalled i tunes, but when i type in itunes under search it still brings up empty forlders but will not let me delete them.

and i think that is what is taking up space under "other" when i sync ipod

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How to remove iTunes completely:

For XP: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925
    For Vista/7: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

The other space is taken up by the iPod OS, album artwork for songs, videos, files that may be held on the iPod by use of apps which emulate disk mode and allow for drag/drop uploading and downloading of files from the iPod itself.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There will always be some number of MB in Other. Do not become concerned with it unless it starts to be measured in GB, as a general rule.

4. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

and then what can i do if that becomes the case?

so is that normal to jump from 93 mb to now 197mb even after complete restore

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If it gets up into the GB that typically means you have some bad data on the iPod, and you would typically want to do a restore (via iTunes). As long as you've let iTunes back up the iPod you can re-sync all your data back to the iPod without losing anything in the process. As far as the Other data is concerned, it's not unusual for it to fluctuate on a regular basis depending on what files and apps are on the iPod.

6. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

well ive got 531 songs so far my and used audio 4.29 gb apps 14.2 mb other 205.1mb and free 24.78
    audio 4.12gb apps 261 mb other 229.2mb and free 24.69
    my brother got exact same ipod

200 more songs and more space ?????

7. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

To be honest, I have no idea at all what you mean in your last post. I'm thnking you might be comparing your stats to your brothers- but if so, you left some words out.

My "other" changes all the time, I don't sweat it.

9. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah he has same ipod more songs and more free space and got more apps than me and

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

and........ and what?

Songs vary in size - if his were imported smaller than yours they will take up less room. Your apps might be bigger than his - and use extra files thrown into general.

But, it's kinda hard to help when you keep leaving words out of your posts too. :confused:

11. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry im at work at min so doing this on the sly (fast typing), and how long in general should the battery last playing games as put a shrek kart on and battery went downn by 5 - 10 % in the space of about 5 mins of playing or so

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But does he have the same songs and same apps? Some songs are short, some are long, they are all encoded differently, so that the same song could take up different amounts of space. Some apps are bigger than others.

Stop obsessing about it, and enjoy your ipod. Especially, do not worry about the "other" space. Sometimes if you connect your ipod, then disconnect, then connect again, all without changing anything, the "other" space would change. It's just not worth sweating over -- if you really want something to obssess over, try getting rid of all the junk files from your computer, they are taking up gigabytes of your hard drive! :D

13. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

and how long in general should the battery last playing games as put a shrek kart on and battery went downn by 5 - 10 % in the space of about 5 mins of playing or so

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No need to repeat questions, people can read posts above them! And yeah, that happens with some games, they eat up battery like woah.

15. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

ok then so theres no reason to worry as had full battery this morning and now im down to 30% battery been on a few apps like checkers and paper throw and battery seemed to reduce really fast,

only reason im asking is i thought the battery would last longer music on constant play back i got about 24 hrs when ipod was in sleep ?

just want to make sure this is normal as this is my first ipod touch and not used to it i guess

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Go to the app store and search for and get one of the free battery meter apps that give you an estimate of how many hours you should get for different types of usage. That should give you an idea of if your battery is within range of "normal." Again, don't sweat small differences -- if the battery meter says you should have 3 hours of game time and you get 2 and a half hours, that's within normal. Capisce?

17. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

well i have downloaded 1 but its got playback video and wi- fi but not gaming just curious as i said its my first ipod so really not sure what is normal

18. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

You won't get "Gaming" because all games very. Some games are more graphic intensive than others, causing it to use up more battery. Music playback and gaming are totally different. The meter adjusts to what you are currently doing, and how long it will last doing that application. For example, if you're playing a game, the meter may go down quite a bit, but when you start listening to music, the meter would go back up.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have a battery app that gives an approximate time for gaming -- it's called Battery Alert. But of course you are right, it's only an approximation, and games do vary widely in how much battery they consume.

20. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

was just playing a board game meter went down to 25% then when put music on it fluctuates between 30 - 35%

21. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

ipod touch 32gb 3g

apple website says 36 hrs also when i load a battery app it says 36 hrs on playback im getting about 24 hrs is that about right?

screen off although i have been switching it on every now and again.
    no equelizer
    screen off
    wi-fi off
    push and location services off

what are other ppl getting

22. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

any ideas ?

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My battery life improved greatly over a few weeks of use.

Plug it in at night while you sleep?

24. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie

so does 24 hours sound about right then as just not sure what to expect really

25. roccogls thread starter macrumors newbie