HELP NEEDED QUICK: Core 2 Duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TantalizedMind, Aug 7, 2007.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys. Sorry if my title was inproper. I just want to impulse buy tonight! I have a Single 1.8Ghz G5. I don't really understand what a 2.0Ghz C2D means?

The guy on the phone from an apple store said it was one processor with two cores. Is that right? Well, whats a core then? Is a 2.0Ghz C2D faster than a 2 x 1.8Ghz G5?

My G5 has 1GB memory and 160HDD. With a pretty ****** gfx card.
    I want to get the 20" iMac 2GB memory with 500HDD, tonight.
    Will I feel a big difference in performance?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A core is a logical processor on a single die. The Core 2 Duo would have two processors in a single processor die.

I'd expect it to be at least x2-3 faster then your Power Mac.

3. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Unfortunately I'm a n00b with technical terms. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong; so you are saying that basically 2 processors are fitting in the area of where one single processor used to?

Sorry if I'm pathetic.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the intel c2d chip is a dual core chip aka the core 2 duo

basically, it is 2 cores on 1 chip with a bunch of power optimizations and stuff so its not quite 2 processors but it to the computer it acts like it

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is correct.

6. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Thanks guys. As long as I notice that it is pretty decently faster than what I have now I'll be happy. ONE more question.

I know iMacs aren't the easiest at upgrading, but can I install a different gfx card with not too much trouble on the 20" iMac?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd say that's next to impossible. You might have a slim chance it if uses a MXM card and you want to void your warranty.

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

2 cores does not mean its the speed of 2 processors, but it is significantly faster than a single core processor. Rest assured, your new iMac will scream compare to your G5. Not only does it have a better processor, but faster front bus, ram, and possibly hard drive will all make a difference.

9. Gav macrumors regular

The Core 2 Duo will eat your G5 for breakfast.

10. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Even with MXM the chances are slim. The graphics card on the old 24'' is technically upgradeable, but there weren't any aftermarket options even after it's been introduced for almost a year. So in the end, i would suggest you to get the best possible graphics card that you can afford, and sell and upgrade when you absolutely need a better one. Macs do hold their values quite well.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

the only thing that you can change out easily is the ram. Anything else would void your warrenty and would require you to take the computer apart. If they use that mmx stuff for the vid card like the other imacs..then they don't sell those in stores so you can't upgrade it

12. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Everyone was a newbie once!

A processor has a core (the brain), which sits on a silicon package, with pins underneath. On top is a heat shield to disappate the heat.

On a dual core processor, you have the same basic chip, but there are two cores. So in effect you have the performance of two processors.

Now for lesson 2:

However, you are comparing two different types of processor as well (the IBM G5 and the Intel Core 2 Duo)

PCs have always run programs written in a separate language (x86), whereas Macs ran programs in PowerPC code. Now that Macs have Intel processors, programs have to be written in x86 and PowerPC code and your Mac will run the program in the appropriate language. These programs are called 'Universal Programs'

If the program you are running isn't Universal, and you are running it on an Intel mac, it has to pretend to be a PowerPC Mac. These slows things down. It pretends using invisible emulation software within OS X, called 'Rosetta'. Programs that have to use Rosetta and are slower on Intel Macs include Microsoft Office and Adobe CS2.

However, eventually programs won't be Universal and will ONLY run on Intel Macs. This may be in 3/4/5 years time.

So it's a good idea for future proofing to buy an Intel Mac in the next few years.

The Core2Duo processor is a lot faster than the IBM G5 though, so many programs will be much faster. The exceptions are those programs which aren't Universal (Office) and they will run slower on an Intel machine than a G5.

Microsoft will release a Universal version of Office in January.

It's confusing isn't it?