HELP NEEDED: (Rap) Vocal Recording on MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by airness2three, Oct 11, 2010.

1. airness2three macrumors newbie

Me and a couple of my friends have been writing and cyphering since we were kids. Recently I bought a MacBook Pro, a USB condenser Microphone, and a mic pop filter. I know like the short basics of how to use Garageband, and I just bought Logic Express for my Mac. Logic is pretty dam confusing, but I'm willing to learn how to use it if it'll get my vocals down right. Basically, whenever we record our music, our voices don't sound fully mastered and clear. It basically sounds completely unprofessional with low quality sounds. If anyone could help me with tutorials or tips on how to up the sound quality on the vocals on the tracks it would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps at all, this is the mic I bought:
    http://www.bestcovery.com/audio-technica-at2020usb-condenser-usb-microphone
    I copped it at a little over 100 on amazon.com, which is a steal given the normal price. Keep a lookout if you guys want one too.''

Whenever we use garageband, not only does the vocals not sound too clear or professional, but when exported to itunes, it also lowers the hell out of the volume. Can anyone else also help with this?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

A good mic through a good preamp into a good DAC, recorded in an acoustically good room. Alternatively drown it in effects like reverb, echo and multiband compression.

You won't get professional results without professional knowledge, so my first advice would be to read. Tweakheadz guide is a good start.

3. Aniday macrumors regular

Be sure to check your iTunes import settings and change them to the highest quality.

When I used to use Garageband I noticed volume changes as well. I never bothered to figure out how to stop it before switching to Logic. I also never found Logic that hard to learn after using Garageband =\

Anyway, figure out how to use Logic and you'll thank yourself. You bought it so take the time to learn it and the quality of your work will increase.

Mic placement is important. And use EQ.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

There are any number of books on audio recording. It really is a book-length subject.

Small things will help a lot, like getting the room set up, mic placement and learning to master the recordings and then after that your equipment will need to be upgraded. But this goes on forever in cycles.

As for learning Logic, that is easier and you can learn most onit in a couple months. Check out some videos at macprovideo.com

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I'll add, if you're doing rap, learn how to use a Compressor. Logic should have one built in. A ton of rap vocals are recorded with the rapper breathing down the mic and the compressor reducing the shouting to something audible. Make sure you gainstage correctly and you can also use a noise gate to cut out crap in the background.

Rap is probably one of the easiest things to record since the vocals are the only audio input and unlike a singer, vocals are allowed to be grimy. There are a ton of commercial rap songs that were recorded on an SM57 with a piece of pantyhose taped over it.