Help Needed: second hard drive in optibay

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by surf2snow1, Aug 16, 2012.

1. surf2snow1 macrumors regular

Hey All

I just bought a 256gb ssd to put in my early 2008 mbp (the 500gb hitachi 7200 crapped out after three years). I am looking to also put in a 500gb or bigger second hard drive in an optibay enclosure.

Speed is not a huge issue, I am mainly looking for something to hold my 100gig iTunes folder and other files. Would like it to be quiet, cooler, and have a good life span.

Needed help deciding on a new hard drive for the second bay. Anyone got any recommendations? I had been looking at another hitachi like I had, Scorpio black 750, and Seagate momentus 1tb but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all!!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go on newegg and read the reviews. All platter-based hard drives are pretty much the same.

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I agree with with above, they all have similar failure rates. The pricing with usually reject the number of years for warranty.

4. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Can't go wrong with a WD Scorpio 500-1000GB, or Seagate momentus XT 500-750GB. Good quality and long warranties.

The XT is good because it has some SS memory on it which helps to speed up frequently accessed data. Although it works best with OS data, it may still speed up non-OS data somewhat.

Whatever you do, don't forget to backup the info to an external drive.

5. surf2snow1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with the drives listed. I think that the 1TB is a little overkill for what I need, so I'll probably just look at the WD 750GB black and the Hitachi Z7K500.

Thanks again!