Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moldred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Denver
Hello guys! Thanks for reading. (I apologize in advance for the grammar, I'm not English native)

I'm a mac noob willing to learn. I screwed up a couple of days ago exploring my new Macbook (wich i purchased to learn MacOS).

Little description:
What I've done: I changed the permission to the Macintosh HD doing the following:

1. Macintosh HD icon > Get Info
2. I remember to saw a permission options which i unlocked for editing, and changed the permission for the user "Everyone" to None access or smthing
3. I think the other users where Admin & my personal user, those where allowed to read and write i think (I don't remember quite well but i did not changed those users)

After that my Mac didn't start. It keeps loading after the grey apple screen finish. It keeps looping trying to login my user session i think.

I have a some code logs i got from the screen when trying Command+S. Hope it helps:

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[xxxx]: Login Window Application Started
mds[31]: (Error) Import: importer:0x84a200 Importer start failed for -2 (kr:268435459 (ipc/send) invalid destination port)
com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder[xxxx]): posix_spawnp(~/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory
com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd[xxxx]): posix_spawnp(~/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/R/Resources/usbmuxd", ...): No such file or directory

I've read a couple of solutions on how to change the permissions but the thing is that i don't want to screwed up again since i have some data inside that i don't want to miss.

I hope that someone can help me. If some more details are needed please let me know. Thank you in advance!!

Note: I don't have the discs since I bought it from an owner. Mac is running Leopard and tried to boot from a Tiger DVD that was lend to me but didn't boot :(. Any ideas in how to change the permission or some solutions :(

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If you have access to another Mac with Firewire, and if yours has Firewire too:

If you are able to see it on the other Mac, change the permissions back.

Definitely have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​
MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.