Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Hi

My First post!

Pretty set to make the jump from a windows world to a Mac, like a few others I am just waiting for the rumoured update before taking the plunge.

I was pretty set to get a top end 13inch MBP but recently I have read a couple of posts that a 15 MBP may have a better screen. I cant really afford to get a top end 15 MBP, so its either a top 13 inch or base 15 inch.

The specs are the same, tho I think the 15 inch has a better resolution screen.

I will mostly be using it for writing reports, pages/numbers maybe a little light photoshopping and surfing.

I will probably end up taking it away occasionally on business trips etc,

I have been into PC world and both seem ok size wise, but for those who have used MACs day to day, which would you go for?

Does the better screen and larger screen size come in more handy, in the long term, or is there not so much a benefit that I would be better of sticking with the smaller more portable 13 inch and saving £150.00 as well.

Of course this could all change if the specs change on the new machines but for now which would you guys recommend?

Any advice appreciated

PS Wont be using it to play games on, pretty avid console gamer and intend to keep it that way in the main

Mr Ben

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Hi there,

I started with a 13" macbook (for work) as i am out of the office a bit as was looking for something not too heavy, however as soon as the opportunity came up i switched to the 15" version.... I just found the 13" too small for reasonably long periods of work. (spreadsheets, documents multiple emails open etc)

Performance wise i cant see any difference, I dont play games or do video editing etc so i probably don't stress the machine that much.

There a great comparison table on http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro as you say there's not much difference between the machines themselves.

I would also recommend looking at the 'refurbished' section on the Apple store you'll be surprised how new some of the kit is in there.

Good Luck!

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Hi there,

I started with a 13" macbook (for work) as i am out of the office a bit as was looking for something not too heavy, however as soon as the opportunity came up i switched to the 15" version.... I just found the 13" too small for reasonably long periods of work. (spreadsheets, documents multiple emails open etc)

Performance wise i cant see any difference, I dont play games or do video editing etc so i probably don't stress the machine that much.

There a great comparison table on http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro as you say there's not much difference between the machines themselves.

I would also recommend looking at the 'refurbished' section on the Apple store you'll be surprised how new some of the kit is in there.

Good Luck!

Many thanks

More confused then ever now lol, I have a few monitors/TV's knocking around the house, so for long periods I could easily plug the mac into one of them, I assume? probably with a wireless mouse/keyboard combo? So that sorts home out.

Thinking about it I could probably sort something similar at work, so for the occasional away day its probably not worth the extra 150.00....., but then its just £150 extra......and if i'm surfing with lots of windows etc open..? hmmmmm lol

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Many thanks

More confused then ever now lol, I have a few monitors/TV's knocking around the house, so for long periods I could easily plug the mac into one of them, I assume?

Apple and Monoprice.com offer adapters for miniDisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI/Video for 15 to 30USD.

probably with a wireless mouse/keyboard combo? So that sorts home out.

Bluetooth keyboards and mice should work just fine.

Thinking about it I could probably sort something similar at work, so for the occasional away day its probably not worth the extra 150.00....., but then its just £150 extra......and if i'm surfing with lots of windows etc open..? hmmmmm lol

If you're on the go a lot and don't mind the extra weight (450g) of the 15" MBP, I would go with the 15" MBP. I have a 13" MB, had a 15"MBP and now also have a 17" MBP, and I still feel the 13" has a too small resolution. The 15" one is nice, but the 17" is spectacular, but might be a little too much for your use. I use my 17" for video editing and I still feel it's too small on one or more occasions. An external monitor might help, but as I'm not always near such opportunity, the 17" has to make day ends meet.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
15" simply for the matte screen. The glass screen looks great but the glare is terrible and after awhile it hurts your eyes... This might not bother everyone but I cant stand it on my 13" and would say its the main reason a 15" makes more sense given your usage.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
What screen resolution are you currently using?

As noted above, if you prefer a matte screen, look to the 15" model as the 13" is not available in matte.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I have no idea on my current screen res lol, was thinking more in terms of space on the screen, love my gaming consoles tho, so i guess i would like the equivilent of HD.

Thinking I am leaning towards the 15 inch now, is the matte screen worth the extra? read a few reviews and appears in most cases the gloss one was fine?

Thanks

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
I have a 15 only because I had an offer I couldnt refuse... sometimes I wish it was a 13. I don't work on it though and actually I really enjoy the internal speaker quality for watching videos. I wonder how I would really fare with a 13. The 15 is a little big to handle around the house sometimes...

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I have no idea on my current screen res lol, was thinking more in terms of space on the screen, love my gaming consoles tho, so i guess i would like the equivilent of HD.

Thinking I am leaning towards the 15 inch now, is the matte screen worth the extra? read a few reviews and appears in most cases the gloss one was fine?

Thanks

if your house gets a lot of direct sunlight or you are going to ever want to use it outside, the glass is a bad idea... otherwise it will prob. be fine... but if I had the chance to do it again, I would buy matte no doubt, easily worth the $50 IMO...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.