Help needed. Transfering files from Mac to W7 partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by newmacnooby, Sep 14, 2010.

1. newmacnooby macrumors regular

hi, im gettig my very first mac tommorow :D and as you can guess im very veery anxious about it, and i have tons of question and i really need help.

im installing w7 via bootcamp in orther to play but im going to be downloading my games fom d2d and if possible i would rather do it on my mac side and be able to continue using my amaizing brand new imac while the game is downloading and then tranfer it over to my windows partition rather than wait on the windows side doing nothing until he download is over.

is this posible? do i just drag and drop over to my win partition?

i have mrgoogle it but they just talk about w xp and Fat32 and so on, does it still works that way with w7. im going to be doing this a lot, so it be awsome if i didnt have to transfer to a Cd (or various) and the boot and transfer to my computer again and so on.

thanks a lot for you advise. if i didnt explain myself correclty please ask me.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Windows 7 uses NTFS as its file system, Mac OS X does use HFS+ (Mac OS Extended).

3. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

thanks but.... i forgot to say i suck at this and im new to coputers and all.

so in order to get some nice 10gb singlefiles from Mac OsX to W7 partition theres no easy drag and drop way?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As Windows uses NTFS, no. You have to install NTFS-3g (link in my first reply) to be able to write to the Windows 7 partition, or you use the Snow Leopard hack, which I would advise against, if you are new to computers.

Btw, "gb" is not the same as "GB". If you meant GigaByte, GB is the proper abbreviation, as the small "b" in your "gb" can be mistaken for bit, which is 1/8 of a byte.

What are bits, bytes, and other units of measure for digital information?

Mac OS X Basics, Malware, Software and other useful links
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User

5. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot i´ll be installing windows as NTFS and getting NTFS-3g to tranfer as you adivse me in orther to move my 10GB :D or so of info.

thanks ill be posting how everything went.

6. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

sorry an other question after i have Installes MacFUSE and NTFS-3G and all where do i find my windows partition to drop my files at? or do i need an external hard drive?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you already have used Boot Camp to create a Windows partition, it should show up in the Sidebar in Finder under Devices. If not, click on your Home folder (Macintosh HD / Users / YOU) and use the CMD+ArrowUp key combination to find it.

8. newmacnooby thread starter macrumors regular

thanks you have been an awsome help. you jst made my Mac move so much easier.:D

9. aknova93 macrumors newbie

hey sry i know this is old, but to do this in reverse (go from win7 to osx lion) do you do the same thing? cause i'll have screen recordings from games that i want to edit, but in the mac partition. so how do i get them over without an external HD?