Help needed transfering files from OSX to NAS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davide78, Jun 4, 2008.

1. davide78 macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I'm a newbie to this site so hey, how you all doin - I'm a PC-Mac convert and learning the ways of the Mac. Honestly, i doubt i'll ever go back!

I've recently ran out of HD space on my macbook Pro and bought a NAS. It's all set up now but trying to transfer files from the Macbook to NAS is harder than i anticipated. My NAS is a Buffalo linkstation 500GB.
    Trying to move my iTunes files was causing problems due to either special characters in the file title or too many characters.

What i'm looking for is some advice from anyone about how to get around the character length issue (if possible), and/or recommend any freeware to bulk change file names including removal of special characters.. I'll be buggered if i'm manually checking 60GB of music individually and transfering. It'll take me years!

I hope this is an easy one for you!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Which protocol are you using ? AFP or SMB

If you use the AFP protocol to connect to the NAS, I would think the filename length would not be an issue.

AFP is the native apple network protocol for file servers.

3. davide78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant. And how do i make sure it's running AFP?
    Is it something in the management set up menu?

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Seems like that NAS has issues...

Here's what someone else has done:

http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/MACosX/BuffaloTeraStation

Take a look at the comments on that page, it looks like some folks were connecting to the NAS using both CIFS and AFP (both will work just fine). Do either of these show up in your finder in the left side panel? If your Terrastation is advertising both protocols, you should see two devices show up in your finder window.