Help Needed: unable to disconnect battery on mid-2015 mbp

StrollerEd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
THave started process to upgrade SSD, having backed up, cloned onto new SSD etc, and opened the back. Do not seem able to disconnect battery - looks like easy in the videos!!

Should I try harder to remove - I’ve gone beyond gentle already - or risk proceeding to remove existing SSD without disconnecting battery?

As noted, this is mid2015 mbp 15”

Attachments

StrollerEd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Also, see photos attached. A fair amount of dust ... so that is something I can remedy whilst waiting
[doublepost=1561545416][/doublepost]And no, this model is not in the list being recalled
[doublepost=1561545597][/doublepost]I wonder, is the battery soldered on? I saw a video which claimed to be upgrading SSD using a mid-2015 MBP & he just ‘gently opened’ -

smbu2000

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Are you just unplugging the battery? If so then you just have to pry up the connector and it will be unplugged. It may be a bit difficult, but pry it up from the sides. I usually just lift up one side a little and then the other side a little and switch back and forth. It should come unplugged.

See step 5 here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+Battery+Replacement/89284

Personally, I never bothered to unplug the battery when swapping ssd blades in and out of the rMBPs. Never had a problem.

Reactions: StrollerEd

StrollerEd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Personally, I never bothered to unplug the battery when swapping ssd blades in and out of the rMBPs. Never had a problem.
I was bold and just went ahead and swapped in the new SSD ;)

Have now successfully booted under its management :)

Thanks for lending me courage ...

Reactions: smbu2000

StrollerEd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
First bit of feedback is that the fan was noisy at first. That seems to have stopped for a while now.

Will see whether this Transcend 960GB ssd runs hotter than then factory Samsung 256GB one ...

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
As the OP discovered, if the battery proves "difficult to disconnect", and all you're going to do is change out the drive, just ... leave the battery alone and do it.