Help Needed: What cable for 5S video to TV?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bking1000, Oct 8, 2013.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

I had been running my iPhone 4 to my TV via a break-out cable. I was thinking all I needed to get was the lightening to 30 pin adapter, but I see all over Amazon that this doesn't work (??).

What is the solution for running 5S video to an old-style TV (i.e. predates HDMI, non-HD)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You'd need to use the digital AV adapter and a suitable DA converter for the TV. I'd suggest finding a TV with digital inputs though.

See:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules

4. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

5. blarivee macrumors 6502

30-pin to lightning adapter only works for data and power. You will not be able to reuse the 30-pin video connector with the lightning port. There doesn't seem to be an official Apple lightning connector to do what you're asking for. Your best bet is to use signal converters to get from HDMI to composite.

Edit: Never mind, people beat me to the punch.

6. bking1000, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this has been my issue. I was going to get some of these cables, but most of the reviews say they don't carry video.

I was hoping there was a simple cable solution, but it looks like there isn't. Drat. It's an old TV, so buying a new HDMI-based one might be easier. I just hate to add to land fills. I could also try the signal converter, but I'm assuming that device needs to be powered.

Maybe the other option is to get a used iPod classic or iPod touch that uses a 30 pin for video out. There's no reason it has to come from my iPhone. It was just a convenience thing.

Thanks for the help everyone. Appreciate the information.