Help Needed: Wifi does not work when MBP lid is closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supern0va, Oct 3, 2010.

1. supern0va macrumors newbie

I have a mid-09 13" MBP. I just bought a display (dell U2311H), wireless apple kb and magic trackpad, with the intention to use just the external display and kb/trackpad, and stow my MBP away to save some space.

Everything works fine when my MBP's lid is open. But once it is closed (or nearly closed), Wi Fi disconnects.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't think it has anything to do with my wireless router, but more to do with some MBP setting. Thks!

2. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

3. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

It seems the problem might be worse wifi reception with the lid closed. Check out this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841386

It seems to be a common issue, the MBP get a lot worse reception when running in clamshell mode. I'd suggest either running with a cable, or moving your router closer to your computer (or the other way around) if possible.

5. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

it is considered a manufacturing defect? if I bring it in to the store will applecare cover this?

6. jjp14 macrumors member

Try changing the channel on your router. I had this same problem, and changing the channel fixed the issue.

7. supern0va thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, how do I do that? I can try it later.