Help Needed with AE and AEM

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by londonmystery, Aug 2, 2009.

1. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I am just about to buy an airport Extreme and 2 Airport Express, the express will be for airtunes and hopefully extending the range of wifi.
    Just a couple of quick questions if anyone can help.

1) Do I need to connect my own router (basic Netgear Router supplied by Sky) to the extreme?

2) Will using the 2 express in the house (4 storey town house) extend the range of the wifi?

3) Can I connect an Epson printer and my WD external hard drive at the same time to the network?

Thanks for any help. :):)

2. y2flyy macrumors member

I'm not an expert but I'll try
    1) Since you're buying an Extreme (which is the best router in town) you should toss your netgear router and use the Extreme as your main router
    2)Yes the 2 express can extend the range of your wifi network
    3) You can if your Epson has a network port since your hard drvie will already be taking up the usb port of the extreme

3. londonmystery thread starter macrumors 6502

londonmystery

Thanks

cheers for the prompt reply. Not sure about the printer but may just replace it. Will also be getting a new iMac at some point, just not sure when, tempted to wait for the bump/price cut, that will be connected via ethernet so hopefully all will be good.

How easy will it be to set all this up?

thanks again :):)

4. y2flyy macrumors member

NP LM anytime bro
    Its pretty easy to setup esp. if you follow the instructions. You should get the Extreme Router installed really quick. The hardest part IMO is setting up the Express as Access point/Bridges. Not that its hard but be prepared to do a little troubleshooting....