Help needed with choosing a laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBALL07, Oct 20, 2012.

1. UBALL07 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Im in a tough dillema. I have no clue on which macbook i should get.
    I was hoping maybe you guys can help me or give some tips or what ever...

What am i going to use it for: im a student who travels alot. Who downloads a ton of HD series en movies. Because i am a proffesional athlete i might want to make an highlight clip of my self once a year with the most easiest video editing program.

These where the laptops i was thinking about:

Macbook air 13"

I like this one because its design is super slim just not sure if the configuration is enough and strong enough.
    Price is arround $1200

Macbook pro 13"

I like this one because i think this one has the nicest pricetag
    It got basicly everything only its an what older version and its the thickest out all of them.
    Price is around $1200 (altough i might order an ssd with it)

Macbook pro retina display 13"

I've been looking forward to this one. The only thingnits so darn expensive!
    Its got the hdmi, the design is smaller en smoover. It already got an ssd in there
    Price $1700 i think!?

I hope you guys can help me out with some advice
    If anything is unclear i will try and make it clear
    Hope to have lots of reactions

Kind regards,

Uball

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u do video production once a year, u don't need a high power machine. Video Playback even in HD doesn't take much. So that's the engine.

If u asked me two months ago, I would had looked hard at the 13" Retina, but alas it wasn't available then so I got an Air instead.

Now I said "look hard" but not necessarily purchased it. I love its form factor but really want something more portable, a 11" to be exact, they don't make a non-Air 11" The other caveat about the retina is, am in the school of never buy anything new technology, I don't live on the bleeding edge. Tried&true is where my dollars go. So I probly had bypassed the retina anyways, or wait til next year if my current machine can hold it.

Now that I got the 11" Air for a couple of months, I LUV it. Take it with me everywhere, it carries like a tablet, except that it's a full-fleched laptop san a few convenience ports. Don't know if I ever go back and give up the 2.5 LB and what, 0.8" thin?

Ur ball.

3. UBALL07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing. Air is much cheaper and could probably do the same for me as the pro, only thing pro isma bit more expensive

Anybody else?

4. UBALL07 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I'd recommend the 13" Air as well. If you download that much HD video, consider the 512GB SSD so you have plenty of space. the MBA isn't the speediest for rendering video but it's certainly usable. I recently tried my friend's 2011 i5 MBA and rendering HD video took about twice as long as with my rMPB.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The retina won't really be required for that sort of work - A MacBook Air with 512GB SSD would be pretty sweet for you I reckon :)

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the 13" doesn't exist.

I would choose the 13" MacBook Air; will suit your needs well.

8. UBALL07 thread starter macrumors newbie

The size of the hard drive wouldnt really mather i think.
    Because of the fact that i got tons of external harddrives.

Right?

9. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart