Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmyabcz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
UK
Hi all,

I've just made the switch from MacBook (1,1) to a new 15"MBP w/2.3 i7 and 4G RAM and loving it!

I use both machines only for audio production and have a small 2.5" 60G drive (Formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & on the GUID Partition Table) that I use for an external bootable drive for surfing the web, emails etc.

The external boot works perfect with the MacBook (using it right now) but it won’t boot with the MBP... With the MBP it just hangs on the white screen at startup.

Both the external boot drive and the MBP are on 10.6.6. Might this be a driver or firmware issue?

Thanks for any help!

J

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
You may want to try and boot it using the latest 10.6.7, but there is a specific 10.6.7 for MacBook Pro 2011's out there, instead of using the combo updated.

the 10.6.6 version of OSX on the 2011 MBPs was a bit modified for the new machines hence why its not currently working with the 10.6.6 you are using.

make sure to back up prior to applying the OSX update.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Hi all,

I've just made the switch from MacBook (1,1) to a new 15"MBP w/2.3 i7 and 4G RAM and loving it!

I use both machines only for audio production and have a small 2.5" 60G drive (Formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) & on the GUID Partition Table) that I use for an external bootable drive for surfing the web, emails etc.

The external boot works perfect with the MacBook (using it right now) but it won’t boot with the MBP... With the MBP it just hangs on the white screen at startup.

Both the external boot drive and the MBP are on 10.6.6. Might this be a driver or firmware issue?

Thanks for any help!

J

The New MBP has a new EFI or something im not sure that but if its from an older MacBook it wont work. So format and reinstall should do it

jimmyabcz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
UK
thanks for the replies.

I think the safest bet is format and reinstall on the MBP. I've got a time machine backup of the portable drive to restore from afterwards.

Thanks again!

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.