Help needed with ' locked-out' iMac 21.5 !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pedropeter, Mar 7, 2012.

1. pedropeter, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

pedropeter macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie here and have had big problems with an iMac 21.5, 3.06GHz Intel i3 processor and 4GB Ram, running Snow Leopard 10.6 which I can't confirm as I can't access the ' About my Mac' details as the bought-from-new machine after some 4 months use decided to lock me out by not accepting my password which I KNOW to be correct.
    Having tried the various Installation disks I have got nowhere and was recently advised to buy a 10.6 full retail install disc which I have done.
    I have tried loading the disk from switch on by holding down key C but can't seem to get past the log in screen which refuses to accept my correct password...

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong most welcome.

2. pedropeter, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's very interesting - although I am talking about my Log-in password - not the Admin.password - although they do happen to be the same.
    I personally don't feel competent enough to try the command line possibility although I have a friend who will try it - that is assuming we can actually access this feature !
    Any thoughts anyone on just why I can't access the retail install disk by holding down 'C' ?

3. matbook101, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

1) Hold down command + s while computer is restarting
    2) type /sbin/ mount -uw /
    3) type passwd root
    4) reset your root pass
    5) type exit
    6) When promoted to log in choose other and enter root for username and whatever pass you chose
    7) Go to System Prefs -> Accounts and change pass for other account

May want to write down the instructions before you start.

4. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work - nor any of the ones suggested in the Google search as the first reply...
    I got into the Command line but all I have achieved after several hours of trying - is to lose my original Log-In screen which would not accept my correct password anyway...
    Your suggestion fell down after step 3*-the keyboard locked thus stopping me typing in a new password !
    Obviously a safety measure.
    No further forward.

5. GekkeHond macrumors newbie

The keyboard didn't lock. It is just not showing what you are typing because it is a password. Somewhat similar to showing dots instead of the characters.

Just type the password en press the return key. You will be able to continue.

6. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

When you enter the password it doesn't show anything, type it and press enter.

7. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - I did continue typing a new password and repeated it - then hit reboot - and all I got was the grey screen with nothing happening after reboot...
    I tried again this morning and got a different result - after I typed 'passwd root' I got this message -
    'launch_msg. Socket is not connected
    passwd. Unable to open Directory node with name/Local/Default.Node name wasn't found'

Can we establish some basics here- I have read elsewhere that in order for this fix to work, I need to be using a Wired Apple keyboard - is this correct ?
    My original Apple wired keyboard doesn't seem to be working and I have been using a cordless Logitech which has enabled me to get into the Command line and type in all required words etc
    I do have several wireless Apple keyboards but read that these won't work - along with non-Apple keyboards - ' as they don't contain the drivers'...
    Any comments please guys ?

8. pedropeter thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried again and got the following after I twice typed new password...
    'pass wd. Unable to change the password for record root.eDSRecordNotFound'

Is it the non-Apple keyboard I am using ??

9. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

I don't know because I have a MBA. You might want to try a non-wireless keyboard.