Help needed with MacBook Pro 13'' hard drive and RAM update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elie.fares, Aug 8, 2009.

1. elie.fares macrumors regular

2. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a 3.5" drive. http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?type=61&subtype=63&model_cd=248#

You should buy a 2.5" with a maximum height of 9mm, the one you linked to is three times as high.

Go to newegg.com for finding the RAM and HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives - don't let yourself get confused about that 750GB HDD on top, it seems to big for the MBP, but MRoogle might clarify that for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=551&name=Mac-Memory look out for 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM with 204 pins.

4. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

That is a 3.5" drive which would not work in a MBP. Seems to be a mistake on the website. You need a 2.5" SATA drive of which the largest is 500Gb. There are many available but you may have a problem installing a 7200rpm SataII drive if you already have EFi Firmware 1.7 installed. Many on the Apple Discussions forums are having problems with these drives and the firmware update. Check to see if you have the latest EFi firmware 1.7 installed and if so, consider a Hitachi 7200rpm 500Gb drive as there seems to be a way to circumvent the problems others have been having. Read through the following thread for more info:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2054387&tstart=0

5. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

Hitachi makes a 2.5 7200 500GB HD?? What model?
    I'm just asking because I was trying to decide between WD and Seagate for an upgrade...

6. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

7. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

Sorry, my mistake. Seems the user in question had a 5400rpm drive that had been problematic since the firmware update but managed to fix it. The Seagate 7200rpm drives seem to be giving the most problems but some people are saying the problem still exists with WD HDs as well. My Seagate 500Gb 7200rpm ST9500420AS HD will format but absolutely not allow OSX to be installed. I did manage to get OSX installed once by jumpering down to 1.5 mode but upon reboot, my MBP wouldn't even recognize the drive.

Also worth noting is that one user (Fishbert) has mentioned that Apple Stores have been given a tool to downgrade the firmware back to 1.6 which would put sata back to 1.5 mode. Worthwhile if you don't intend to ever install a SSD drive.

8. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe if you go on Crucial's website they will tell you what RAM can fit in your computer.

10. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

It's not necessarily the firmware on the HD itself but the Apple MBP EFI firmware 1.7 update that seems to be problematic for some. It's really hit and miss as aome have had no problems but 41+ pages of posts (and a number here on MacRumors as well) seems to indicate that this is a fairly widespread problem.

11. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the macbook pro with me... im gonna have to wait for a while to get it since im not in the States.
    So I have to get everything by theory :p

12. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

No need to theorize... You just plug the model you have/are getting into the prompts.