Help needed with new white macbook & s video out tv

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacekittyjo, Jun 21, 2009.

1. spacekittyjo macrumors newbie

Hi guys, well i was really happy with my old macbook in that i could watch videos on my tv via the s video output... now with my new one i cant :(..
    Would really like to bring back sunday afternoon family time and figure out a way to connect my new white macbook to my old tv with s video out and the 3 white, red, yellow sockets, also has a scart socket.... cant afford a new tv and cant figure out if theres anything i can do...

Was thinking of buying a ipod lead but think once covert stuff to mpg it will look pants on a big tv....

Help please Jo x

2. qacjared macrumors regular

You need these 2 things:

Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9319G/A

This converter to convert your analog audio port on your MacBook:
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plug-Jacks-Adapter/dp/B0009JFF7K/

With those two plug your white, red, yellow cables or s-video into the back of your TV and then plug the Red and White into the 3.5 audio adapter and the yellow or S-Video into Apple's Mini-DVI to Video Adapter.

3. spacekittyjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Even on the new macbooks ? i have those cables already, im sure i used to do it this way on my old one, but when i got the new macbook it doesnt support it and wont work...

i heard i need one of these and the mini display port to vga adapter

http://www.grandtec.com/products/video/xppro.html

but worked out its gonna cost a fortune to get these just to watch tv, am now considering selling my laptop for a older one, am really not happy with this, apple should of made this clearer.... one of the main reasons i have a laptop is to watch stuff on it... bahhh

Jo x

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

As far as I know, the MDP port is only on the MBP and the uMB. If you have a standard, white Macbook it should have a MiniDVI adapter... Go to :apple:, About this Mac, More Info. It should bring up the hardware overview, in which you can identify your Macintosh model, and from there you can use MacTracker to find the model and its specs.... But if you have a standard white MacBook, it should have MiniDVI. Picture or model ID would help...

5. spacekittyjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thisis the one i have, its the new white macbooks, i think its mini dvi port as my old connector which is the mini dvi to svideo still plugs into it, but just isnt supported

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B00
    SMC Version: 1.38f5
    Serial Number: W89071R74R1
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

According to MacTracker, the display connector is Mini-DVI - furthermore, on the Apple page, the technical specifications on your machine give it a Mini-DVI port, in addition to being able to see it on the outside, right between the ethernet and firewire ports...

7. Corrado33 macrumors member

I think he is saying that he HAS a mini-dvi to S-Video adapter, however when he plugs it in, it isn't supported on his NEW white macbook. In that case, I would buy the thing that qacjared suggested as it is made for the NEW macbook and should work without a hitch.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you read the product info for the MacBook mini-dvi connector on Apple's site is says

* This adapter is not compatible with the 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo white MacBook introduced in January 2009

That would be the nVidea model - which is why it does not work. Unfortunately it does not give any clue as to what you are supposed to use (helpful or what ?)....

9. qacjared macrumors regular

I believe the Nvida 9400m chip simply doesn't support or output the proper signal to the Mini-DVI so unless your TV has DVI, VGA, or HDMI input you're out of luck. If you still have that older macbook you could use that as well.

10. spacekittyjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah thats it, i had a older macbook ( the old white ones ) which worked great till my son spilt chocolate milk all over it so i got one of the new ones... i may of thought twice if id known it didnt work with my s video tv... would be great to get a new vga one at some point..

i hear theres the s video to vga convertor that you can get the adapter that plugs into the vga then you plug the s video into the back of that or something like that... ( read it on the apple forum ) but its quite expensive and havent seen one for sale here in the uk...

my boyf is bringing his ipod lead home today, so im going to have a mess with that, see if i can get good quality once films converted to my new chromatic... did it before converting to mpg which wasnt that great but will see... am hoping can put straight avi onto it but am not sure...

tis a bit of a pain, i dunno why apple have done this.... i mean not everyone has state of the art tv's, or can afford apple tv as much as we would like to... am considering selling my laptop and buying a older one just so we can play films on the tv again, or saving up for a new tv lol :)

thanks for the advice, if anyone figures out a way round this id love to hear

Jo xx

11. mjsweetland macrumors newbie

This is correct. Here is Apple's statement, although it doesn't give explanation.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3413
    I too am extremely upset at this change. My old MB was the only way I watched tv except for some live events.