Help needed with TomatoCart

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sk3pt1c, Mar 14, 2011.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

hi there, i've set up a TomatoCart e-shop here, it's not finished yet so pardon any issues, it's for wall decoration, stickers and so on...

so the problem i have is this (for anyone familiar with tomatocart):

i set up a product and in the data tab i give it a net price, pick the "taxable goods" tax class, the gross price is then updated.

then i add variants for various sizes and give each its appropriate net price.

so, on the actual product page in the store, i can see the gross price (although i'd like to see the net price and have the tax added when i click "Add to cart", but anyway, i don't really mind that) correctly

but when i click "Add to cart", it does its little animation and shows the cart contents and this is where the problem is...

i get the product and the quantity and variants i picked
    then i have the sub-total, which is the same
    i then get the shipping price
    and then, for whatever reason i can't fathom, i get a "Tax:" line with the tax amount
    and then the Total amount

i just don't want this Tax line to show up because it will be confusing to the customers...

i can rename it to "Tax (included):" or something like that, but i'd rather it go away all together...

any thoughts?

the best solution for me would be to have the store show the net prices of products and then when the customers add them to the cart show them the tax and add it along with the shipping to create a Total Cost...

thanks!

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I set up one of these carts real quick to see if I could help you, but I can't find where the setting is for this. However, total tax doesn't show up for me at all, and it says "incl. tax" beside the product price. I don't know why.

I wish I could be of more help. Have you tried the support forums?

Attached Files:

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

yeah, like last week and i'm still waiting on a reply there so i thought i'd come here where people are more helpful :)

it is a strange thing indeed, even on tomatocart's demo store, all their settings are the same as mine and i see the tax there for some reason...

4. sk3pt1c, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

is there anyone else that can help out with this?

it's really weird for me and i can't figure it out, any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

UPDATE: if i just give the product a gross price without adding a tax class in its "Data" tab,
    the store shows the price properly and then the "Tax" thingy disappears...

this works for me but i'd like it to show the net price and then the tax...

any thoughts?

5. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

also, i've added some slides and i can't, for the life of me, figure out what's wrong and it's squishing the slideshow div to a tiny box instead of 960x210 as i've set it to...

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

This is a fairly new cart package isn't it? I'm sure that there will be improvements made to it quite frequently, but you should probably be sure to stay up on the conversations/updates in the developers' forums.

FWIW, your cart looks awesome. This is a very cool looking cart application. I hope you are able to iron out the quirks soon enough. Wish I could be of more help. :eek:

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

it is pretty new but from what i gathered, the devs are chinese and there isn't much going on in the forums, i'm already signed up...

this is a styling problem, to edit the styling you basically go to the actual template's stylesheet and change stuff manually.

i made some changes two weeks ago to make room for the store's logo and i must've messed something up cause it's repositioned the "slideshow" component / div...

so this is a styling question, regardless of the aforementioned tax issue

if you can help with that i'd be grateful :)

the stylesheet should be in /templates/glass_gray/stylesheet.css

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have messed around a little bit with the CSS in Zen Cart. You just have to play around with it until you get it right. I'm sure others with more experience could do things much faster than I. :eek:

I don't have time to try to help you right now; the learning curve would be a bit much for me. Have you googled it? I found a couple of independent developers with Zen Cart that were very helpful at the time. You may get lucky with TomatoCart too.

9. manueld macrumors 6502

To fix your issue with your slider, remove the height property from id="pageheader" that's what's causing the issue.

10. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

you, sir, are a lifesaver and deserve at least one box of cookies! :)

thank you ever so much!

i actually wish i lived in the states so i could send people stuff in thanks for their awesome help! :)

11. manueld macrumors 6502

I'll take international cookies. :)

12. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Nice one!:) i wish i could afford to do that :)

Oh, btw, i still have the original issue i need help with, if anyone can help out...

Ps. I love my mac peeps :)

13. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

I have not used this, but can't you turn this off using the Tax Class in Products on the admin panel?

14. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Well yes, i could turn the tax off altogether and just provide the price including the tax and that would be the end of it, but i'd like to be able to show the customer the net price, tax, shipping separately...
    If i can't fix this by monday i guess i'll have to go with the "tax included" approach because it kinda needs to be done sometime next week...

15. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really wish I had the time to get into this more. :eek:

Have you tried looking at the code? You may not be able to do it through the settings, but there are probably flags somewhere that can be tweaked to tell it to present the page the way you want.

I'm surprised that no one else has been able to help you, as what you want to do seems to be what most store managers would want.

16. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

Yeah i know it seems like it should be pretty straightforward but, for some reason, it isn't... :confused:
    Yeah, i'll probably have to go through the code over the weekend, it's a fairly new cart and i don't think many users here have had a chance to tinker with it...

17. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

OMG, i'm completely retarded...

i do apologise for everyone's time on this tax thing...

turns out it's under Configuration -> Configuration -> My Store

and you just set "Display Prices with Tax" as false and that's about it...

it displays the net price properly and the proper tax and adds it to the item when you click on "add to cart" :)

again, sorry for any wasted time, you guys:( , and thanks!!!:D

18. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really appreciate your posting the solution here. So many people come here for help and once they have resolved their issue, we never hear back. Thank you!

I don't think you are retarded! That's part of the issue with things like this. There is so much functionality that it can be very difficult to pinpoint a specific setting. That is a major learning issue and is why so many people discuss it. I wish someone on the TomatoCart forums had pointed you to the documentation that explains it though, but perhaps no one in the know saw your questions.

Anyway, very happy to see you have resolved your issue. Excellent looking cart system, I must say. I have installed it on my server just to play around with it. :p

19. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

it *is* pretty cool, i must admit :)

someone brought Plone to my attention,
    it looks pretty awesome but i can't really switch now :)

20. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have messed around with OSCommerce (don't like the inability to customize the looks enough) and ZenCart (which required me to become an expert to do what I wanted, but was fun), but I like the look and feel of this one the best so far. I will look at Plone too - never heard of it before.

Yeah, after a while your commitment to the one you are using becomes pretty concrete. However, some of them offer pretty thorough migration tools, so moving isn't always completely out of the question.

21. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

22. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yeah, it's pretty cool. A CMS. Would probably be even more powerful than what you are using and require a bit more education, but looks awesome. http://science.nasa.gov/ is using it.

23. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

ok, i have another question:

I want to provide the "cash on delivery" method but it costs extra to the standard flat rate shipping, is there a way to include this in the payment?

Bank wire does not need "cash on delivery" so the people who do a bank wire will only pay for the flat rate.

Is this possible to implement?

Thanks