Help Needed With User Directory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RcktMan77, Aug 14, 2010.

1. RcktMan77 macrumors member

I was trying to restore a friend's iPhoto Library after migrating to a new mac. Long story short, the older mac had a newer version of iTunes and iPhoto; thus, the migration assistant complained and the user was confused. A backup of the iPhoto directory was available, so I moved and renamed the existing iPhoto Library directory and copied the backup iPhoto Library from a root user as the backup was located in another user folder.

From a root prompt I issued the command:

cp -r /Users/<user1>/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library /Users/<user2>/Pictures/

Then once that completed I changed the owner of the files by issuing the command

chown -R <user1> /Users/<user1>/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library

However, now I can navigate to the files within a UNIX shell, but in the finder the entire Pictures directory is recognized as a package and and I can't navigate to the files within. Does anyone know how to fix this? Another strange thing is the ACL setting for the Pictures directory and the files within is set to @; whereas, the other user directories are listed as a +. I'm not entirely sure how this occurred, or exactly what these flags indicate, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That sounds normal to me. The iPhoto library is a package, just like an Application so you can't navigate it like a folder. You can right-click on it and choose Show Package Contents and explore it that way if you need to. This is the newer behavior for the library as compared to before with earlier versions. So I don't think there's anything to fix.

3. RcktMan77 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, it is the Pictures directory itself exhibiting this behavior, rather than the iPhoto Library with which I am familiar how it is setup in more recent releases of iPhoto. Thanks for responding, though.