Help needed!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleBMW&Lakers, Aug 10, 2011.

1. AppleBMW&Lakers macrumors member

AppleBMW&Lakers

Hey guys, I need some urgent help with my iPad 2 and converting movies. I tried to find some early posts but none of them helped. I am going on a long road trip and I want to put a couple of the season of "The Office" on my iPad 2, 32 GB. They have been downloaded from a torrent and I don't know what the file type is. I get them to play my iMac with VLC player, but how do convert them to play on iTunes and thus syncing them onto my iPad. As always thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I really want to help you but pirating is a big no no around here.

3. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

The best program for converting videos on the mac that is free in my opinion is MPEG Streamclip. I don't know about ripping tho ;)

EDIT: Here's the link for ya http://www.squared5.com/

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You don't even know how to view the file and see what type it is?

5. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Use GPlayer Lite my man, it plays almost all video files and the app is free. If you do not want to do that, use AnyVideoConverter program, it's free and works really well.

6. Tritons macrumors 6502

use Handbrake to convert them from any format to format that can be played on iPad.

7. AppleBMW&Lakers, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011

AppleBMW&Lakers thread starter macrumors member

AppleBMW&Lakers

Yeah it is bad to dl stuff, but I honestly got my stuff from friends and I am a newb compared to them...let me try all of these suggestions, thanks for your time everyonr!!

the files are avi

8. LanEvo macrumors 6502

GPlayer Lite, no need to convert just download app, load onto iPad and play.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

oh. you got stolen stuff from your friends? then it is ok.

10. Daforce macrumors newbie

i chuckled when i read this..nice one :D
    honestly now you shouldn't rip or download stuff..many people put a lot of effort and should be payed..if it was you in their place you would want to get payed right?

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Handbrake all the way. Just use the predefined iPad preset and you should be good.

12. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Handbrake works perfectly for legal backups...

In my opinion Handbrake is easier to figure out than MpegStreamclip. Just choose source (original file) and choose compression type on right side (just pick the iPad preset).

www.handbrake.fr <-- official website.

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Good player using iTunes File Sharing via USB is great to play such files without having to convert them, you can copy over wifi via FTP or http too but that takes forever for big files.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

For your reference, ______ coverts files (sorry I wrote it but then realized you pirated the videos so I took it off). Do note though that pirating is illegal and will end up costing you sooner or later. My 2¢. BTW, is it really that much money to buy it? Seriously...

15. pathaymom macrumors newbie

I put all my video tapes (home movies) onto DVD's and now I want to convert them

So that I can use them in iMovie and then convert them for my iPad. How do I do that?

Thanks

Annmarie

16. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Are you looking to edit them in iMovie (Mac version, not iOS)? Or are you just interested in converting them as is?

To be able to edit the files in iMovie they will need to be transcoded into the proper format. MPEGStreamclip is a suitable program to do this, but I believe you need to purchase the 20$ codec from apple for QuickTime. MpegStreamclip doesn't include it because it isn't open source. Google this process to find out specific procedures.

If you just want your home DVDs transcoded to files for the iPad, then use Handbrake and forget about iMovie. This won't allow you to trim video or and effects, etc; but it will be quick and easy. The reason you can't use Handbrake to prepare videos for iMovie is because it transcoded into formats (.m4v, .mkv) that are not intended for editing. Those formats would stress the processor too much in real time editing, so apple chose to not support it in iMovie.

One more thing... If your home DVDs are the "mini" kind, and you have a mini DVD camcorder, you can connect it to a Mac with iMovie 11' and directly capture the footage using iMovie (without needing mpegstreamclip and the QuickTime codec).

17. pathaymom macrumors newbie

Thanks so much

I used handbrake and its great. Then I found another app to convert them to QuickTime and now they are in iMovie! Thanks so much

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Another option to play them without converting is OPlayerHD Lite. I used it recently to watch the first season of White Collar on a 17 hour flight (all .mkv format). It worked beautifully.