Help needed

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yzc717, Sep 12, 2008.

1. yzc717 macrumors member

I just got my mac pro today, i am not a patient guy, still happy though.

I want to install xp on my mac, what kind of version works? vol? oem?

I want to install on a Ntfs partition, how could i do that?

what tools should i use? Paragon NTFS for MAC OS v6, macdrive, macfuse/ntfs/3g, which one is better? anyone can write a brief guide?

thanks~!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Hi congrats on the Mac Pro. that thing has some serious power and has a very well designed case and cooling system. looks like youre a bit confused. its very easy. ive bulleted the answers to your questions.
    • you can install using OEM or a volume license
    • use Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder
    • print out the instructions from BCE. shows you exactly how to partition your drive and then install Windows
    • you format your partition/2nd hard drive to NTFS from within the Windows isntaller
    • Paragon NTFS/Macfuse + NTFS3g for Mac is used to allow write access to NTFS while in Mac OS X.
    • MacDrive is used to allow write access to HFS+ (Mac hard drive format) while in Windows

3. yzc717 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much, which one is more stable?

Paragon? or ntfs/3g?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i have found Macfuse + NTFS3g to be more stable as my kernel panicked using Paragon NTFS. its also free and open source which is always good.

5. yzc717 thread starter macrumors member

is it easy to install?

involes terminal?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

easy. theres no Unix commands nessessary now. just download and install MacFUSE then download and install NTFS-3G.