Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hjelpmeg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
Hi.

I have a jailbroken first generation iPhone that I want to update to the latest OS.

The thing is, I have NO idea how to do this. The phone was jailbroken when I got it and I've never done something like this before. All I know is that if I try to update it through iTunes I will not be able to use my iPhone anymore (it's bought in a different country and then jailbreaked so that I can use it here).

Can anyone help me? Are there some easy steps, or is this very risky?

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Ok, so you need it unlocked to use it?

At the moment the latest firmware 3.1.3 is not unlockable meaning if you update in iTunes, like you say, it won't recognise your SIM.

My advice would be to google Felix firmware and go to his site and download 3.1.2 or similar where an unlock is available and custom restore to this by holding shift (pc) or alt (mac) and clicking restore then selecting that firmware. Once this is installed, jailbreak with blackra1n and then apply the unlock fix from the blackra1n installer on your phone or Cydia.

Or alternatively, get pwnage tool (i havent used this for a while so not sure what version its for) and then make a custom firmware and custom restore straight to that.

Have a look on google what tools are available to jailbreak and unlock 3.1.2 as it depends on if you have a Mac or a PC.

Hope this helps?

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, so you need it unlocked to use it?

At the moment the latest firmware 3.1.3 is not unlockable meaning if you update in iTunes, like you say, it won't recognise your SIM.

My advice would be to google Felix firmware and go to his site and download 3.1.2 or similar where an unlock is available and custom restore to this by holding shift (pc) or alt (mac) and clicking restore then selecting that firmware. Once this is installed, jailbreak with blackra1n and then apply the unlock fix from the blackra1n installer on your phone or Cydia.

Or alternatively, get pwnage tool (i havent used this for a while so not sure what version its for) and then make a custom firmware and custom restore straight to that.

Have a look on google what tools are available to jailbreak and unlock 3.1.2 as it depends on if you have a Mac or a PC.

Hope this helps?

OMG...if you don't know about 2G iPhones...don't answer!

OP: You can update a 2G to 3.1.3 and JB + unlock using redsn0w 0.9.4
EDIT here a tutorial

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
OMG...if you don't know about 2G iPhones...don't answer!

How is the procedure for jailbreaking firmware any different depending on the different generations?

I wasn't aware you could unlock all 2G firmwares so apologies for that, but I'm sure a simple google search by the OP as suggested in my post would've revealed that.

If that's your attitude towards people who are trying to help, or at least point them in the right direction, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a forum in the first place! CHILL OUT :cool:

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
How is the procedure for jailbreaking firmware any different depending on the different generations?
Did i say it was different? i was just blown over by your strange and incorrect advice about unlocking a 2g iPhone.
I wasn't aware you could unlock all 2G firmwares so apologies for that, but I'm sure a simple google search by the OP as suggested in my post would've revealed that.
Ah, so the OP should google for answers, but you, who are actually supplying information shouldn't be so enlightened? i see.
If that's your attitude towards people who are trying to help, or at least point them in the right direction, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a forum in the first place! CHILL OUT :cool:
Yes, my attitude is if you don't know anything about a subject you should definitely not give advice on it... And this should preclude me from posting correct information because...?

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX

You are in over your head here. Just learn from this experience and walk away. You have given bad information and it has now been corrected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.