HELP! New 13" MBP Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adubg, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Adubg macrumors newbie

I just got my New MBP 13". I received the computer with 0 cycles and calibrated the battery first thing.

After calibration, I checked out coconut battery and it says that my current battery capacity is 5572, while the original battery capacity was 5770. The battery is only at 96% capacity now.

Do I have a defective battery? or is this a calibration issue?

Also, does anyone know what the standard full capacity is for a new MBP 13" battery?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

My original battery capacity is 5770. I calibrated when I got it, and I have a total of 8 cycles on my battery. I've had it plugged in the past couple of days. My maximum battery charge has actually gone up to 5930, so my current battery capacity EXCEEDS my original battery capacity. When I first got it the current battery capacity was around 5890, so my battery has been 100%. I'm using coconutbattery.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It still applies to your questions.

6. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i searched through the search link you posted but they dont really answer my questions.

Under system profiler, it says my battery's maximum capacity is 5572. Is that normal numbers for a new 13" MBP? or should I got to apple and get my battery swapped out or a replacement laptop?

I feel my battery should be better then 96% after only having the computer for less than 2 days.

Anyone know what the normal capacity is for the new 13" MBPs?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you take the time to read the threads, many of the ones found in that search will tell you that battery readings aren't 100% accurate, so you may find that your battery stops charging at 98% or your battery health fluctuates up and down over time (100%, 96%, 99%, etc.) This is completely normal. You don't have to worry about anything unless your battery health suddenly drops to under 80% with fewer than 300 cycles. In this case, assuming your battery is properly calibrated (so the readings are as accurate as possible), you may have a defective battery. If so, contact AppleCare to see if they will replace it.

8. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJ, One question tho, are my battery capacity numbers normal? Do you happen to know the max battery capacity for the new 13" MBP? And also, do you think another recalibration will change my numbers? Thanks in advance.

9. NateDogX macrumors member

What you should be concerned with is how much time your Mac says it has left when at what it considers to be a 100% charge. My 13" MBP said it had 6 hours when at 100%. Not good for a brand new system (about a day old at that point) with very little software on it. I then did a clean install and loaded the same batch of software on it and the time shot up to the expected 8-10 hours.

10. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

When I got my new laptop, I had the apple store do a time machine restore from my old laptop to my new one. Do you think a fresh install would actually change anything? What does the fresh install actually do from the original?

11. NateDogX macrumors member

Absolutely do a fresh install. They flashed my 2010 MBP with an old disk image so the OS was used to the battery consumption on the old MBP model. I'd certainly recommend doing a fresh install.

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you put your car on a dyno and found it had 2 less HP than the shiny brochure said, would you complain? Almost certainly not seeing as no-one, not even you, would realise in normal use and it's pretty much within tolerance anyway. Not all batteries are made equal so don't dispair over a few percent. Who knows you might own an iPod or a phone which has 95% max battery capacity but you'll never know.

13. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I'll give that a shot. One more thing, just curious what your battery capacity is?

14. kbt1020 macrumors regular

My battery's capacity was down at first too. Now, it's over 100% so I guess battery is just being weird. Best thing to do is just use it and don't worry too much unless your battery last for like 3 hours when doing nothing.

15. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

There should be nothing at all to worry about. Battery calibrations could sometimes be a bit confusing. Just yesterday I did it for the second time since I've had my 13" MacBook Pro that I got in February. After I calibrated the battery it went down to 98%. All I did was take it off the charger and use it off battery power for an hour or so and then plugged it back in and now I'm currently at 100% Health after 32 cycles. An important step to do when calibrating the battery is to let it sit on sleep or completely shut down for 5 hours before plugging the charger back in.

16. Adubg thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I followed apples directions to a T and even did the 5 hour waiting period after drainage. Did you recalibrate it and it went back to 100%?

17. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

I recalibrated and it went from the original 100% I had, down to 98% (which I thought was weird since I started off at 100% before I started the process). Shortly after, I took it off the charger and just used it as normal. Once I used it for an hour or so, I plugged it back up and I noticed it went back up to 100% Health shortly after charging a bit.

It seems that it corrects itself after a while. Since you already calibrated the battery I would just use it like you do usually and not worry about it. Give it a night and check back on it tomorrow.