HELP new 17" MBP with Drop in iLife DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Voina, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Voina macrumors newbie

Voina

Been using Macs since 1987. Never saw a "CPU Drop-in DVD". I understand why it's there -- no time to install iLife by delivery date (today, bought a new 17").

Problem is: I put it in the drive, it spins up, then spits it out.

I also already had the retail version of iLife 11. So I put THAT in, and it spins up and spits it out!

PLEASE don't tell me the drive is bad!

I drove down the mountain to get to the Apple Store before a snowstorm came in. Got back up the mountain JUST in time before the snow got too bad (in clear weather it's an hour there and an hour back... with the snow, of course, it's much longer.) Now we have days of snow and I can't get back to the Apple Store any time soon.

Any ideas? Am I jumping to conclusions that it's a bad drive? That's two DVDs that went haywire.

I know I should try a music CD or something, but I wanted to look up what the CPU Drop-in DVD was first (and to complain some) before I sought out actual trouble-shooting steps.

HELP!!!!

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The drop in dvd is common, many posts here about it shortly after they released the iLife 2011. Not sure about your dvd drive though.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Your DVD drive is fried. Luck of the draw.

Call the store or AppleCare to get it documented now. Just let them know that you would like to replace the computer with a different one since it's brand new. Shouldn't be an issue. Then it's just a matter of getting back to the store.