Help! New 1TB Seagate SSHD won't boot in my 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BulkHedd, Jun 7, 2013.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

So I bought a new 1TB Seagate SSHD (hybrid) drive for my 2010 13" MacBook Pro and after cloning and installing it won't boot. I am stuck with the folder with the question mark on it. Here were my steps:

1. Mount the new drive into a SATA USB dock and connect to MacBook
    2. Formatted new drive as OSX Extended Journaled
    3. Used SuperDuper to clone existing drive
    4. Rebooted MacBook holding down Option key and selected the "external" Seagate drive. It booted just fine.
    5. Swapped out drives and it won't boot.

It doesn't feel or sound like the new drive is spinning up.
    I put my old drive back into the MBP and it boots up fine.
    With no drive in the MBP but the new one in the dock I can hold down the Option key and it shows up as a bootable drive

Any suggestions at all???

Thanks.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You used the Option key to boot from it when it was still external. I would suggest that you do the same after installing it in your system (and you never mentioned doing so in your post.)

3. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

When the drive is installed in the MBP if I hold down the Option key it requests to connect to Wifi and the only option is an internet restore.

4. ramram55 macrumors 6502

This might be a difference,
    apple menu > system preference > startup disk, make sure startup disk is highlighted.

5. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

When would I do this? Currently the old drive is installed.

6. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

My original startup disk is called "Macintosh HD" The new one is called "SEAGATE 1TB" could that be the problem? It's looking for a drive called "Macintosh HD" but can't find it?

7. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

If holding down the Option key doesn't show it then it's not a problem of the wrong startup disk being selected as using the Option key is specifically for choosing a device other than the current default.

Perhaps a SATA-III drive -> SATA-II port compatibility problem?

8. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

On Amazon it specifically says it's compatible with standard SATA technology and says it works in any laptop.
    Besides that I read reviews of people saying it works great in their 2010 MacBook.

----------

I decided to try something: I put the new drive in and booted to the old drive via the USB dock.
    I opened Disk Utility and the new, 1TB drive shows up but says it acts like it's not formatted at all.

----------

Was I supposed to set the partition options to GUID Partition table? I didn't do that before.

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I have literally the exact same drive in my 2011 MBP 13". These were my steps to installing the drive:

• backed up all data onto external HDD
    • Re-downloaded OS X lion from the app store (or whatever OS you have)
    • made a bootable flash drive of the OS (steps for doing so found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q247rzjDX_g)
    • Broke into the MBP and removed old HDD
    • Installed new SSHD into MBP
    • Followed these steps to get the OS from bootable flash drive onto new SSHD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXm3Io_WsY
    • Once into the OS, I used time machine to restore all the data from my old HDD.

From there, you should be golden! This is what worked for me, so let us know if it doesn't work.

10. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I believe my problem was I forgot to set the GUID partition table.
    Now I guess I'll have to re-clone. Can I leave the new drive in, boot to the old drive in the dock and run SuperDuper from that? So I don't have to swap out drives again?

11. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Sorry I thought the new drive in the mbp.
    Could get another hard drive and see how it works ? When you mentioned it is not spinning, it is something wrong.
    I have done HD swapping many times like you did nothing went wrong. Could you try it one more time, just like you did.

12. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I don't see why that wouldn't work, good find on missing GUID partition tables. :)

13. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Yeah, kicking myself. The SuperDuper copy took HOURS!
    Based on the fact that I can see the new drive internally when booting to the old drive externally it appears to be functioning.

I'm at work right now. On a whim I left the new drive in and booted with the option key and chose Internet Restore just to see what happens.

I would assume if there was no functioning drive in the system it would not work but it's got a progress bar moving slowly. It says 3:53 left so not enough time for me to finish before I go home. I'll probably stop it in a bit and restore from the old drive later this evening.

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If it were me, I would just reinstall OS X from scratch and then use Migration Assistant to restore my data from Time Machine. If you had done that from the start, it would have saved you a whole lot of time (benefit of hindsight, of course.) As it is, you may still save yourself a bit of time by doing so even now. Your call.

15. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Would the migration Assistant copy all my installed apps?

Btw, I did the SuperDuper clone again last night and this morning everything seems to be working fine.
    I appreciate all the assistance.

16. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yes, by default it will. You can choose not to if you want. Each category of item will have a checkbox next to it, with all of them selected by default. You simply uncheck the stuff you don't want restored. It's not as granular as it could be, but I've found that it met my needs fine when I've needed to use it.

17. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

Post a review of how the SSHD works/feels like compared to the hdd you had before :).

18. markdshark macrumors newbie

I resolved the same issue today. Here's how.

I just had the same problem today. Here's the background story and how I fixed it over the last 8 hours or so.

First Super Duper for some reason only copied about 2/3rds of my 280G used on my 320 G stock internal HDD to the 1TB SSHD in an external USB enclosure before setting the new drive as bootable and rebooting. Obviously that failed. Not willing to trust Super Duper with another 4 hours of my time I decided to try Carbon Copy Cloner. It seemed to work better (faster) and even offered me an option to fix the recovery partition. I completed the clone via CCC and tested the reboot from the new drive on USB. It worked great. I swapped the drives and put the 1TB inside and the orig 320 G HD in the USB enclosure as backup. Rebooted. No dice. Mac wouldn't recognize the new internal 1TB as an option to boot from even when rebooted with the option key held down. Everything already has been reassembled and screwed down tight. Panic

Rebooted from the orig drive and went into disk utility. New drive is recognized in disk utility and size reported correctly. However when asked to verify the new drive Disk Utility reports errors and says it needs minor repair. When asked to repair it fails and says cannot repair. When asked to erase it, it refuses saying it can't write to it. Same story when asked to partition.

Tried rebooting into hardware diag mode holding D key down. Didn't work. Rebooted into recovery mode with CMD-R held down. Loaded disk utility. Asked Disk utility to repair 1TB disk. This time DU fixes the boot record. Drive verifies ok.

Reboot holding Option key down to attempt to boot with 1TB. 1TB does not show up again as an option but something new called EFI does. Selected it. Turns out to be the 1TB drive. Mac boots snappily. Removed orig HD still in USB and rebooted a few times. Good speed. All stable. Enjoy.

Mark
    http://jackrabbitphoto.com