Help! New 8800GT + COD2 = Jerky?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheSpaz, May 27, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Playing Call of Duty 2 with the 8800GT is jerky and playing it with the same settings with the 7300 is smooth... why?

I have the 8800GT in the FIRST slot (16x) and the 7300 in the 4th slot (8x). It should not be doing this. It's not like low framerate jerky, it's like smooth-skip-smooth-skip-smooth-skip-smooth-skip and so on... It's like a pattern. It's worse when there's fighting going on but, the 7300 is sooo much smoother. I don't understand why it's doing this! I am pretty sure I installed the card correctly. Mac OS X works just fine with it, no skips or anything there.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Puzzling. I run CoD4 with the 8800 GT and it's smooth. What are your settings? Are you playing under Windows or OS X? Is your copy of Call of Duty 2 Universal or PPC?

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Thats the only explanation that I could think of for why the lousy 7 series outperforms the top of the line 8.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

A bunch of people on Apple's boards are complaining about COD2 as well running 8800... No matter which Mac Pro it is.

5. bpepers macrumors newbie

Driver

Yes I'm one of them. I thought I read somewhere that someone at Apple has commented that there are driver issues with the 8800 in 10.5.2 and that they will be fixed in 10.5.3 but I don't know if these driver issues are the ones causing COD2 to be slow or not. Anyone running the 10.5.3 developer releases able to test COD2 for us?

6. kudukudu macrumors regular

I have noticed some issues as well. If I play UT2004 everything works fine initially, but then the graphics performance can suddenly degrade and even using spaces is jerky. I have run cinebench benchmarks and noticed that the performance of the graphics card is cut in half until I do a reboot. I am waiting to see if I still have the problem with 10.5.3 before loosing sleep over it.

7. bpepers macrumors newbie

Well I updated to 10.5.3 and tested COD2 and its still as bad as it ever was. FPS down around 25 which is just sad on a machine with these specs! Other games seem to run just fine. I wonder what it is about COD2 that causes these problems.

I heard one person say that if they play Enemy Territory first then COD2 will work nice and fast. Sounds unlikely to me but I plan to give it a shot next.

8. 50548 Guest

Aspyr already said that it's a driver issue, because for them CoD 2 was developed long before the 8800 came, and there is no support for it in CoD2 (even if CoD plays nicely, go figure)...so they might fix it or not...just search for info on Apple Support discussions, you will find their answer verbatim.