Help! New ATV unbelievably slow

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JamerG, Jan 4, 2016.

1. JamerG macrumors member

Hi all

I'm having all sorts of network issues with my new Apple TV. It's connected to Virgin super fast broadband in the same location as my 2nd gen ATV used to work with no problems. It connects to my wifi. However, it is so slow at times as to be almost unusable - by way of example I just tried to download a speed test app and couldn't even get the page on the App Store to open let alone the app to download. I have to wait for ages for streaming to buffer and Apple Music has stopped working altogether.

This seems to have been an intermittent problem since I got the box just before Xmas - at times it has been ok (ish) - but I know it is not the network. I can use my iPhone or iPad on the same network next to the ATV box perfectly at the same time the ATV is struggling.

I don't seem to be alone in this judging from this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7324668?start=0&tstart=0

Does anyone have experience of this problem or any suggestions? At this point I am thinking that the only option is to try and exchange the box and see whether I just got a duff device...

Any pointers gratefully received.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think the Wi-Fi reception of the ATV4 sucks. Mine was incredibly slow too, in the same spot that the previous ATV3 was fine. I also have an Airplay speaker at that spot and it is fine on Wi-Fi as well.

I ran an Ethernet cord to the unit and now it's perfect. I always prefer wired anyway, so if anything that was the push I needed to finally run CAT5E to the bedroom closet. Now the ATV4 and the Airplay speaker are both on Ethernet and everything is gravy.

I suggest temporarily running an Ethernet cord to the unit. This will help you troubleshoot whether it is a reception problem or a bad unit.

3. JamerG thread starter macrumors member

Cheers mango. I have tried a netgear powerline adaptor wired connection (i.e. through the wiring of the house) but that is hopeless too - my house is over 100 years old and I suspect the wiring isn't up to it. My internet router is on the second floor so running an Ethernet cable from there to my lounge downstairs would, I suspect, be a major pain...

4. benjitek, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

My ATV4 is very fast. I installed the SpeedTest app and the down speed came in around 55MBPS, up was around 52MBPS. My service is rated at 50/50, but it's usually slightly faster -- on my Mac around 60 down and 55 up.

I have a dual-band 2.4ghz/5ghz router, and the ATV4 kept connecting at 2.4ghz so I created a separate SSID for each band to force a 5ghz connection. Before I did that though, it was still plenty fast.

5. Agent2015 macrumors regular

Agent2015

My ATV4 is also very fast. In all fairness I too forced the ATV4 onto the 5ghz network to make sure I was taking advantage of the 11ac capability of the router. The router is only about 30 feet away so your mileage may vary. By the way, I tested the ATV4 via its 100Base-T Ethernet connection but find the wireless connection to be much faster. Be sure to check on how your router is provisioning IPv6 as this is becoming common throughout the US.

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

An Airport router will fix your problem. It did for me.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

an airport router MAY fix the problem.

just because it fixed it for you, doesn't mean 100% that it will fix for others.
    if there are other problems causing interference, either other sources of RF or things physically blocking the wi-fi signal, changing to an airport won't help

if you're using an older, lower powered base station, then it might help (same if it's the one from your provider)
    if you're using an router from the last couple years, that wasn't the lowest model, it will probably be about the same.

try to not have it buried in a bunch of electronics / furniture

5GHz is faster in an open environment, but it doesn't penetrate objects like walls or furniture well, so in a particular location, the 2.4 band might actually be a better, stronger, faster signal.

get netspot it will let you see all of your neighbors networks and what channels they're using, try to find the channels with the least amount of interference.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Going wifi in our house was a nonstarter. Too many walls and corners without using an extender. Went wired until I can place an access point in an optimal location like the stairwell. I need to run a wire and use POE to get it there and haven't had the time. I was hoping the Wifi option would be a go, but had the same issues with signal strength that I had with ATV3.

9. winstars macrumors member

You probably got a dodgy one. I would definitely return it and get a fresh one. Only then will you know. I have read of a few ATV4's that did't "just work" and almost all issues went away upon getting a new one...

10. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Correct -- probably more accurate to consider that it maybe a router related issue. Everything's working perfect for me with a Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway router.

11. JamerG thread starter macrumors member

Interesting thanks.

This makes a lot of sense now - I live in a big (and old) house and my router in on the 2nd floor and my ATV on the ground. When I was getting the ATV to work it was generally better on my 2G network than 5G.

I've also run some speed tests with my iPhone in different locations in the house. In my upstairs study (where the router is) I'm getting 55 mbps download speed; in the lounge (where the ATV is) I'm getting only 13 - 16 mbps - which was clearly enough for my iPhone, iPad and ATV 2, but not ATV 4.

Seems the best option will be to get an ethernet cable run from the modem upstairs to the ATV downstairs (more cost - joy!) unless anyone wants to persuade me otherwise. If that doesn't sort it then I'll know for certain it's the ATV and will return it.

Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated.

12. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Slow? Just wait for an iOS upgrade or two. Even though this box won't get any of the iOS hardware enhancements in the next and next-next gen iOS devices, I'd bet it will curiously seem to become more sluggish anyway... as if something in the software updates just makes basic functions run slower on older hardware (even when there is not newer hardware to replace it- see :apple:TV3, and "2" before it).

I only half joking with this post.;)

13. JamerG thread starter macrumors member

Update: OK, now I think it's the box.

Reset the ATV to factory settings a few days ago. When it came back on line it worked like a dream - was getting 55 Mbps. Loved it - so this is how it's supposed to work!

Tonight, back to being slow and unusable again - aaargh.

ATV getting between 0.5 and 5 Mbps. iPhone in exactly the same spot 54 Mbps.

Must be a fault with the box - will try and get Apple to exchange it :(

14. winstars macrumors member

Yes, a dodgy one... When you said the ATV2 and iPad and iPhone worked fine in the same location.... I hope it is indeed the box and you can get going with a new one that actually works correctly...

My ATV4 rocks on WiFi, yes it is in the same room as the Airport Extreme but the WiFi is pretty much the same speed as using the wired ethernet from the AE...as per speediest.net

15. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I was having speed issues with 2 new AppleTV 4 units. I have 110 Mbps internet connection. Both would regularly slow down. Sometimes the speed would drop as low as 5 Mbps. A restart of both units would bring the speed back up to the max for a while, but after a while the speeds would start to slow back down.

My internet setup was a Arris dg1670a modem/router (piece of junk) and Apple Airport Extreme. The dg1670a was acting as modem and router (since my cable guy said he couldn't disable the router portion) and the Airport Extreme (4th Generation, which I used as my router prior to my cable company replacing my modem) was put into bridge mode and I used as my wireless access point. Neither the Arris or the Airport Extreme supported 802.11ac.

I live in a very large apartment building with tons of wireless networks. Thought my issue might be a signal interference. I tried changing channels on my airport extreme to less used ones, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Decided to try getting an 802.11ac router since to see if it helped. Got the latest version of airport extreme. While I was waiting for it to arrive I started to do some research on the Arris modem/router. Found some info that I could try to disable the router function and use it only as a modem. I was a little nervous to try changing the settings since some people were saying that you can possibly brick the modem since the cable companies locks out these settings. When my new airport arrived, i decided to give it a go so I could use the Arris as my modem and my new airport extreme as a router and wireless access point. To my surprise, changing the settings on the Arris went very easily. Once I verified that the Arris was not acting as a router anymore by connecting my MacBook Pro directly to the modem, I setup the airport extreme.

I am so happy that I did. All of my wireless devices are working faster now. And best of all, my two Apple TVs are now reliably fast. Both run consistently at, or over, 110 Mbps! No more buffering when streaming. Not sure if it was changing to the 802.11ac wireless or if it was disabling the Arris router and using the airport extreme as my router, but i am a happy camper again!

16. winstars macrumors member

Unless you need the DG1670a for your TV or phone, give it back to them. Are you with TWC??? Or Comcast??? I think the monthly rental is up to $8.00 per month for almost any ISP.

Buy a Arris sb6183 for $99.00 on Amazon... It has the 16x4 channels.

3.1 DOCIS modems are coming but it depends on where you live on how soon...

I have TWC (internet only) with the sb6183 and the Extreme. When I replaced my old flat Extreme with the new one my speeds went up like 30%. Better antennas. And ac...

My MBP does not have ac but it went faster with the new Extreme. I am convinced that my ATV4 is faster than my ATV 3 was because it is using the ac off the new Extreme...

17. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The chips and antennae allow better performance as you say, even for n devices.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately RCN requires customers to use the Arris if they get speeds over 50Mbps. Most users on RCN user forum report trouble getting them to provision a non-RCN modem with higher speeds (although a few people in markets other than NYC seem to have gotten them to do it).

19. winstars macrumors member

I lived in a building on the Upper West Side with RCN. I was not impressed.

Too bad they make use use their modem, that sucks...