HELP! New boot HDD rejecting password--can't log in or reset!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jay916, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jay916 macrumors newbie

Jay916

Hi everyone.. Let me start off by saying I really love this place. I'm a Mac convert as of 2007 and a long-time reader of MacRumors. I have finally registered and my first topic is a post about a MAJOR problem I am having. Could anybody be so kind as to help me out? I've tried every known self-help guide out there.

I bought a new USB external HDD to install Leopard on and use as my new main Macintosh HD/boot disk. I formatted the ext. HDD in Mac Extended (Journaled) format. I then installed Leopard, made the new disk my Boot Disc, and quit the installer. Now, when my Mac starts and I type in my password (I am the only username), it keeps rejecting my password.
    I will try to give a detailed chronological list of steps I did..

1.) Formatted new external HDD to OS X (Journaled).
    2.) Intalled Leopard from Install DVD
    3.) Used Leopard Installer Migration Assistant to transfer over my username, apps, and old files from internal HDD.
    4.) Quit Leopard Installer program. Mac asked me to select a boot drive. I selected the new ext. HDD.
    5.) Mac restarted and asked for password. I typed in the same password and it is not being accepted. I'm certain I'm typing in the same password since I got the Mac, and it is not being accepted.
    6.) Since the Leopard DVD is still in the optical drive, I tried holding down 'C' as the machine starts to boot from the Leopard DVD, so I can do a firmware password reset from the installer's 'Utilities' menu. The system will not boot from the Leopard DVD.
    7.) I tried unplugging the ext. HDD and restarting, including holding down 'C' several times. The system won't restart without the ext. HDD plugged in (because it's the new system boot disk).

(FYI - my Mac originally came with OSX Tiger. I purchased Leopard when it came out. Should I have installed Tiger on the new HDD first, then upgraded to Leopard?).

PLEASE HELP!! Is there any way I can boot from the original internal HDD? I am in dire need of a solution. I really need to use my system and my whole life is on there, including bill payments, critical documents, and my entire family photo library in an iPhoto collection of 11,000 photos!

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance or advice you guys might have to offer.

Jay

2. Jay916 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jay916

Problem Solved

I ran into a buddy of mine at the meat counter at my local grocery store. He's a long-time Mac user. When I told him about my problem, he told me all I should have to do is hold down the OPTION key as my Mac was booting, and I would be able to choose what drive I could boot from, including the Leopard installation DVD which was already in my optical drive. I held down the option key, booted from the Leopard DVD, went to the Utilities menu to reset my password on the new HDD. I reset the password, installed the internal HDD, set that drive as the new 'boot' drive, started my machine, ran software update, and my system is BACK UP AND RUNNING AND KICKING BUTT!