Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenMacUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Hey Guys,

Just installed a new graphics card into my powermac G4 agp slot (Nvidia GF 6200 256MB DDR2 AGP Graphics Card came from another working powermac)

When i then turned the mac on it made the bong noise and started booting into osx and then went to a page saying please restart mac. Everytime it boots it brings up this messsage.

So i took the card out and tried putting in the old card to try that. same thing happened.

So i reverted back to the new card and now the mac makes the bong noise and the screen does not come on and my monitor just said no input....

any clues??

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
If your Mac is MDD, forget about 6200.
If it's Quicksilver or older, you need at minimum 10.4.3 (IIRC) to run this card. There's no driver for GF 6xxx in older versions.

Put in old card and reset PRAM. It should be OK after that (if it's the only problem with your computer OFC).

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
To add to 666sheep's correct info..

If you happen to be running 10.5 and have not removed the "hwsensor.kext" in the system library then you will experience a 3-5 min black screen at boot time. This is just the GPU temp sensor on the 6200 taking a while to be seen in a foreign environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.