Help - new Handbrake not working with Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by katlove, Dec 15, 2009.

1. katlove macrumors newbie

So I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and then downloaded the new Handbrake ... I HB a couple movies and ATV says that the video format is not compatible with ATV. I'm using the same settings that I used to and my old movies are playing fine with ATV. I've tried using all 3 of the Handbrake presets (Apple, Normal, Legacy) and have had no luck. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing and/or probably been discussed somewhere already -- I would appreciate any help ... thanks!

2. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Are you using MetaX on the files? If so you need to enable large file support in the preferences.

You've updated your presets in HandBrake of course?

3. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not using MetaX ... I'm just using the presets "as-is", I didn't change anything.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You might get better support on the HandBrake forums but others things you can try:

1) In HB, under Presets menu click on "Update Presets"
    2)See if the file plays in quicktime, if it does what "Get Info" display under "Summary" in itunes display?

5. katlove thread starter macrumors newbie

It does play in Quicktime ... here is the summary info: Kind: Mpeg-4 video file, Size: 1.55GB, Bit Rate: 127kps, Profile: low complexity, Channels: stereo, Total Bit Rate: 2328 kbps, Video Dimensions: 853 x 462, Video Codec: Mpeg-4

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I had been having issues with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. After reading about the 64-bit VLC 1.0.2, I downloaded it and still had 64-bit problems -- like it wouldn't start encoding.

Decided to try again a few minutes ago. Handbrake decided to start working. Unless I'm mistaken, the frame rate is a good bit higher -- 25ish instead of 17ish.

7. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Er, "Apple, Normal, and Legacy" are the names of Preset directories, the actual presets are inside those directories. In this case it would be impossible to tell what you actually used.

8. pprior macrumors 65816

Mine won't work because it demands 64bit VLC, which isn't to be found at vlc website...

It will work if I use ripit first, but that doesn't work on all disks.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac