Help? New iMac hdd. No os, can't install help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blueflame, Mar 11, 2010.

1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Hi. I appreciate any help so much

I have an aluminum. 24" iMac.e hdd died. I got a new one, installed it. Originally came with leopard, I bought snow leopard. I have since lost my disc but have all the packaging still. I do have my install disks from my wifes new 21" iMac. I've booted from the disk, partitioned and formatted, but it won't let me install. Please help. I need my computer up and running
    thanks so much anyone and everyone!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use the Snow Leopard DVD that can be had for 25€.

The iMac 21.5" gray restore DVDs will not work with any other Mac.

3. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

what do you mean by "it won't let you install"?

what message pops up when you try to install from the DVDs?

4. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

Mac os x cannot be intalled on this disk. Please restart or install from time machine backup

thanks!

5. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately if you don't mind you ll have to go to the extra trouble of extracting the hd from the 24" imac (not the easiest thing I 've done it but not that hard either), use some external cheap usb to sata thingy and clone your wife's hd, and then put the clone back in the 24" imac.

If I were you and since you have the packaging and the receipt of purchase I would look for some good installation of sl in the torrents. You 've bought it, ok you lost it, I see nothing wrong with obtaining another copy this way. My 2cs.

Another option would be if sl or leopard cd allows you to use disk utility on the 24", then run the 21" imac in target disk mode connected to the 24" one, and use disk utility to clone/copy the disk from the 21" on the 24".