Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Ok so I picked up a Blackbook today. Had the guy install 2 GB of Kingston ram and then he started the thing up but I wanted to do the setup myself because of MIgration Assistant so i had him power it down.

Now, the home folder is named "apple" and i cant change it. now i have to do an erase and install of mac os x. fine.

earlier, i was trying to use migration assistant. after restarting my imac and the firewire icon appearing and the imac's fans going crazy, the "Continue" button won't activate. it can't see my iMac.

WHY?!?!?!

I have no idea if its the cable's fault, my iMac (though I doubt this, I used to use FireWire iPods), or my MacBook... I have no FireWire peripherals to test it...

ARRRGGHH!

Any suggestions and or help would be appreciated...

This Mac OS X installation is crawling along...

I'm thinking of just using AppleTalk and an Ethernet cable to transfer all my junk instead of Migration Assistant... what I'm worried about is my iTunes library. How can I manually transfer it?

Thanks in advance... :( My second Mac experience is not faring well so far..;.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can change the Home folder's name without a complete reinstall, but it's complicated. If I were in your situation I probably would have simply created a new account and deleted the one the Apple Store had created. Anyway... :p

I'm not sure why Target Disk Mode isn't working for you, but you can manually transfer your iTunes library by simply dragging the iTunes folder from the iMac's Music folder to the equivalent folder on the MacBook. Assuming you haven't changed any of iTunes' default file handling settings, that should suffice. The same applies for iPhoto. Migration Assistant is a bit dodgy, so perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. Nevertheless, try using Target Disk Mode again, but swap the machines 'round. If it works, then you'll have a much faster file transfer rate than the ethernet cable will give you. :)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I know I know.

I'm an idiot. :(

I'm worried about the FireWire of my MacBook now. What if it's faulty?

The problem is I have no peripherals to actually test it with. It could very well be the cable too. It was only $2. :(

The only thing I'd ever use FireWire for would be an external hard drive which I have yet to purchase...

Gah... I'm stuck, aren't I. =(

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Nevertheless, try using Target Disk Mode again, but swap the machines 'round. If it works, then you'll have a much faster file transfer rate than the ethernet cable will give you. :)

And if this time my iMac can't detect my MacBook??? :eek:

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Okay, I got all of my junk transferred over.

Guess what? New problems.

First of all my wireless keeps dropping. It keeps dying and then for some reason it can't see any networks even though my iMac and all the Windows laptops in the house can see them.

I restarted.

The wireless works again. But, for some reason, I had left my mouse plugged in, and now the tracking speed is DEAD SLOW. So I open System Preferences and I change the tracking speed, and it's fine until I close System Preferences. Then the tracking speed is dead slow again. It seems that when I first plug in the mouse, the tracking speed is normal until I open Sys Pref. Or, if I leave it plugged in and restart, it becomes slow again.

Two very basic yet very serious problems...

Are MacBooks notorious for faulty wireless?

And can anybody shed any light on my mouse problem? Thanks. And no it's not the mouse. I've tried three.
[Edit] Seems like the problem arises after I plug the mouse in and switch to a new window/application. Instant dead tracking speed... :(

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Ah... never mind. The dead scrolling was my USB Overdrive X settings. :eek:

Let's hope my wireless doesn't conk out again!

If so... then I love my new MacBook! :D Kinda wish the screen was more vivid though! Still... brilliant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.