Help! New MacBook Pro battery not charging?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reach9, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey guys,

I just bought my MacBook Pro about a year ago during '10 Back To School sale. In the past couple days i noticed that whenever i charged my Mac the LED light on my "L" shaped connector would disappear. So there wouldn't be any light emitting from it. And my battery would not charge. So i had to unplug and plug the Magsafe connector a couple times and then it would light up and become orange.
    Last night i wanted to calibrate my battery so i left my battery to drain and kept it like that for a couple hours, and then i plugged in my Magsafe before i went to sleep, hopeful see a fully charged Mac in the morning.
    To my surprise the battery didn't get charged at all, and there was no LED light when i remember i saw an Orange light, last night. I guess the light went off by the time i fell asleep?

Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I'm really new to Mac, i switched over last year.

Btw, my battery health has been pretty bad as well, its gone down to 89% and struggled to get it as high as i can, but it's stuck at 94% at 111 cycles.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not how you calibrate. Read the exact instructions in the following link. Also, you may benefit from resetting the SMC, instructions for which are also in the following link, in the section on CHARGING.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    I posted this a month ago in another thread you started, but you never came back to the thread to indicate you've read it. It really will help if you take the time to read it.

3. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I know how to calibrate, i just skipped the initial steps to save people from reading a lot.

Thanks for the SMC tip, i'll check that out!
    Sorry, i'll let you know this time.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a "couple hours". It's 5 or more hours after the battery has drained enough that your Mac goes to sleep or shuts down. If that's what you meant, it's fine. I mention it so others who read this thread won't be mislead into thinking that what you stated is proper calibration. There are too many in the forum who think that calibration is simply draining the battery all the way and recharging.

5. np0000000 macrumors newbie

what about the charger, how do you know that isnt the problem?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The charger is less likely to be the problem, although not impossible. Instructions for troubleshooting problems with the MagSafe are also in the link I posted.

7. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

Gotcha, i'll be more descriptive then. But yeah i drained the battery and left it at no charge for a while. I said "couple hours" very colloquially. I've calibrated my battery before as well.

Anyway, the charger might be an issue. I think i'll try the SMC fix and if that doesn't help then i'll take a trip to my nearby Apple Store.

Any idea why that's happening though?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before making the trip, you might check out the link above the one on resetting the SMC, which describes troubleshooting the MagSafe adapter. That may help you determine if it's really the problem before making a trip to the Apple store.

9. Reach9 thread starter macrumors 68020

Reach9

I followed the guide and my Mac's battery is fine for now!
    Thanks a lot GGJstudios! :)