Help! New MBP: Box Damaged -- What To Do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splitpea, May 9, 2010.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

My MBP arrived, but the outer box is badly damaged (and taped up again). Should I be concerned? What should I do other than taking photos to document it?

2. ljx718 macrumors 6502

take pics of the box and open to see if the laptop is fine.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes take photos, preferably with a time and date stamp on them.

I guess the next thing you should do is to make sure everything works. If not then give Apple a call, you have the photo's as evidence.

4. Dany M macrumors 6502

Is the machine fine? If it is then there is nothing to be worried about.

5. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

the outer shipping box, who cares? if you had any idea what really goes on in the shipping scene, you would cringe. If the inner box is damaged however, Chances are your laptop is damaged, even if it does not look it... besides you want a mint box for resale value and the idea of having a half destroyed box for a MBP is something I could not deal with.

6. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

The outer box damage is major. Like a giant tear, all the way through the cardboard and across half the width of the box. The inner box has a small dent. I'm about to open it up and check out the computer.

7. lordofuo macrumors regular

Yikes.

Let us know the condition of the mac. I hope there is nothing wrong. :(

Alex :apple:

8. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, the machine has no cosmetic damage, and is running OK so far (I'm posting from it right now). Are there any tests or checks I should do before giving it a clean bill of health?

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It doesn't sound like a full cereal box when you shake it does it?:p

Ok, seriously I would just go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure no marks are on the external casing and then forget about it.

Congrats on your new MBP!

10. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cereal box, no. There's a very faint sound, but that could just be a motion sensor or something.

No evident external damage, although there's a tiny blemish in or on the finish near what I think are the battery indicator lights (left side near the front) -- but that's nowhere near where the box damage was.

Thanks!

11. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Unfortunately, if I'm not mistaken, it's too late for you to do anything. Once you accept delivery there is no recourse. Your only option would have been to refuse delivery because of the damage and have it shipped back ti Apple.

Taking pictures is useless. Anyone can alter the date/time stamp on any camera. It proves absolutely nothing as to when the damage occurred.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. For your sake I hope everything works out ok for you.

Keep this in mind for future shipping damage problems.

12. JCCash macrumors regular

I don't agree with SoCalRich. We receive boxes from time to time at our business that had damages and we reported after receiving for an exchange. I'm not 100% sure how Apple will deal with this but I would think they would do the right thing and exchange it for a new one. Yours will become a refurbished item which they will sell in the future.

Contact Apple and call the shipping company and fill in damaged shipment report. The pictures are a good thing. Apple most likely is self insured and they will exchange it for a new one.

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I can't see Apple doing this. Customer Services would understand that you thought you had better check to see if it actually had caused an issue before giving them a call.

14. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a doorman who signed for the package, so I didn't get a chance to check it out before accepting it.

Do you guys think I should call up Apple even though it seems to be running OK? I wouldn't want to take it in for service 6 months from now and have it refused due to damage from apparent dropping or something.

15. MorganK macrumors regular

There is no harm in calling Apple to inform them of the situation. Maybe they could note the account. All it would take is a 5 min call and see what they say.

Enjoy the new MBP!

16. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Well I certainly hope for splitpea's sake that I am wrong. :D

17. djgcue macrumors member

Easiest way to document a date in a picture is to use a newspaper showing the date of the paper.

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I can think of one flaw in your plan. You could use a paper which is a few days old....:rolleyes:

19. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Make an unboxing video. Show that the box was damaged. And see if it turns on. If it fails, the video should make apple sed you another unit.

20. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called tech support, and the guy said to keep it, but he'd make a note in the file for the unit, and gave me a case #.

21. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

But you could just be using an older paper...

22. lordofuo macrumors regular

Exactly what I was thinking. hahaha.

BUT you could reverse this strategy and prove that your Macbook Pro Box was damaged in the FUTURE by taking a picture of the notebook & box with a newspaper from November 26, 2015. That would convince them. :D

23. lordofuo macrumors regular

But seriously, if you wanted to prove your photos were taken at a specific time, just take them, print them, then mail them to yourself, making sure you don't open the envelope. USPS will stamp the envelope with a date. You can't fake that. :cool:

...at least I don't think you can.

Alex :apple:

24. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

The postal service thing is a myth.

If you really want something proven (for legal purposes) to have happened on or before a given date, get it notarized.

25. djgcue macrumors member

true, i was assuming he was making a claim immediately after delivery and his newspaper would match the tracked delivery date.