Help... new to mac and struggling

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Lkjc81, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Lkjc81 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've just bought my first iMac and i'm struggling to do things i would normally do in windows.

In safari/google chrome i can normally right click and open into new tab or new window, how do i do this on mac?

(sorry will probably have more questions as i go)

2. Lkjc81 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i access my dropbox, on pc i can access through this pc folder and have as a favourite folder

3. techedude macrumors regular

Command T will open a new tab. Command N will open a new window

4. Lkjc81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to click on a link in the current window and open in a new tab, can i do that?

5. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

6. techedude macrumors regular

Right click on the link and it gives you options to open in a tab or new window

7. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

Hold the command key and click a link in order to open it in a new tab

8. scottish macrumors 6502a

Turn on right/secondary click in system preferences.

9. Butchie-T macrumors regular

If you want to right click via the mouse or trackpad, you can go to System Preference and under either the mouse or trackpad settings you can switch on the right click (secondary click) and set it there.

Trackpad can be set to click in bottom left or right and mouse can be set to 'click on right side'.

That will get you back to a right click frame of reference.

10. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Download Dropbox for Mac OS - install and it will show up in Finder

11. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

After installing dropbox on a Mac, your dropbox folder will be accessible right from the menubar icon it installs. You can also open Finder and it will be listed on the left with your favorites. Lastly, if you open your home folder which normally is named after you, your dropbox folder lives there.

As for opening tabs in Safari everyone else covered that pretty well but another simple way to open a new one, say if you just want to open one to search for something or whatever while retaining others already open, there is a little plus sign to the right side of the open tab or tabs you can click which opens a new tab for you.

As mentioned above too, the introductory tutorial pages are well worth a read at first. I found them quite helpful when I was transitioning from Windows a few years ago.

On a happy note, after the initial confusion you are soon going to find working in OS X to be a very natural and intuitive experience once you make the initial adjustment to how it does things you knew how to do in Windows.

One of the really wonderful things about the Mac world is all the great specialized apps that are available which I never found to be the case with Windows. You can always ask in the relevant forums here for advice on best apps for various tasks when ready to explore that. For fun, be sure to check out the Mac App Store and just peruse some of the possibilities there. I have found I could never imagine going back to Windows now myself. I could not get all the stuff I now take for granted here in Windows.

Enjoy your new Mac! :D