Help! New to Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fuzzy29, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Fuzzy29 macrumors newbie

Hey, I just bought a Macbook from my friend, i dont know what exactly everything is on here, plus i want to restore it to factory settings and get rid of all of the stuff from her on here. I was looking up stuff to figure it out but everything was about snowleopard which i dont have. i clicked on my little apple and clicked on about this mac and it says "Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 and processor 2.1 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I got 2 discs with it and one disc says MacBook Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and the other is Install disc 2. So if any one could help me out with restoring it to original and getting it back up and all the programs on here or any extra steps i need to do , i would greatly appreciate it, Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Erase and Install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

If you want to spend 29 USD for a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, you can do this:
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

To learn more about Mac OS X:

3. Fuzzy29 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh i can upgrade this to snow leopard? I heard this computer couldnt be upgraded or something like that?

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

You can upgrade this to possibly lion.

5. alexpja macrumors member

If she has 2GB RAM on that MacBook, if not, then she can't.

6. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

There is supposed to be a hack that will allow you to install lion with only 1 gb. That's something I read but I haven't had very good luck hacking lion to run 64 bit so maybe not a good idea. haha

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Maybe you mean 32 bit? Lion IS a 64 bit OS.

8. Fuzzy29 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM , So does my computer have lion? leopard? or neither? cause i have 2 disc that say MAC OSx install 1 and 2. If i put in the those cd's will it reset and install it all back to normal?

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You currently have Leopard. Using those DVDs (they're not CDs) will allow you to reset it to factory spec. I highly recommend upgrading to Snow Leopard. Unless you have any applications that require Leopard (and it doesn't sound like you do), Snow Leopard will be faster and better than Leopard, and it's only $29 from the Apple Store online (and any retail stores that still have stock).

I don't know which MacBook you have, but it sounds like the early 2008 model. Go to Apple Menu -> About This Mac... -> More Information and look at the General Overview, which should be the first section that comes up. Look at your identifier model number, it should look like 4,1 . If it is the 4,1 model, you can have a maximum of 6 GB RAM, and Lion should run fine on 4+ GB. If you have the 2,1 model (which had a 2.16 GHz processor, close to what you listed) then your max is 3.3 GB RAM (with 4 GB in the slots) and running Lion is a little more questionable, but certainly possible.

The things that can be upgraded on your MacBook are the RAM and the HDD. You can put more RAM and a bigger, faster HDD in it. That's about all you can do on a hardware level.