HELP! new to Macs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tumej, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Tumej macrumors member

so, this is not hardware or software problem , it's something different...

Im buying the new iMac when it comes out ( atleast i would like to ). The problem is my parents don't like the idea of me having Mac, they have PCs and they are constantly telling me Mac sucks. This is what they think about Macs:
    - Macs are for video and photo editors
    - Macs are slow
    - Not as secure as PCs, viruses etc
    - Compatibility is not as good as PC's
    - fancy piece of *****

help me! what i need to do to change their mind?
    i'v never had Mac so i don't know, but i want to to have nice desktop computer. my PC laptop sucks, it costs about 200$

i really appreciate your help! sry for grammar

2. RoelJuun macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

They have some weird thoughts going on…

- Macs are not solely for photo/video editing. They do basic computer usage best in my opinion. Basic browsing, mail, playing music, watching photo's and so on.
    - Macs are not slow, it is true that you buy less high-end specs for the same price of Windows-based computers. But the money is spent on display, nice software, great design (and I mean functional design) and so on.
    - Macs are not secure… You've got to be kidding me. I'm not saying they are impenetrable but there are no viruses in the wild for OS X. Malware exists.
    - Compatibility might be an issue but it depends on what you use your computer for. Office is available as well as other software, check which printer you have and do some basic research on compatibility.
    - They are a fancy piece of ***** but I don't see the bad thing in that. I like having a nice-looking computer.

3. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Well firstly you shouldn't buy a Mac "just because". Buy i'll list a few of my reasons.

Note: This is partly opinion

- OS is far more intuitive than Windows and "just works"
    - Fast reliable systems
    - Great support from Apple
    - Ability to run Windows, "best of both worlds"
    - No issues with viruses or malware and Gatekeeper will keep OS X users even safer
    - No Compatibilty issues
    - High quality parts
    - Great resale value

Ultimatley I just prefer OS X but Mac's aren't for everyone, but it is your computer and in my opinion your choice

4. Tumej thread starter macrumors member

5. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

If you do a google search you will find references to them. Apple would like for us to think that they develop super computers that don't fall foul to malicious code but it simply isn't true.

http://www.securemac.com/

When i get my first iMac (hopefully next week) the first thing i am installing is Norton internet security.

:apple:

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Make sure you install an extra CPU and 4 GB RAM to run that.

Seriously, it's a waste of resources. There are no true viruses for Mac, and the quantity of other malware is extremely low and can be mostly avoided using basic common sense. On the rare instance something does break through and you were unable to avoid it, Apple pushes the cleaning & prevention out through software update. Running a full protection suite on a Mac is rather like wearing plate mail over your Kevlar.

7. thundermustard macrumors regular

Don't listen to parents, they probably think Obama was born in Kenya too.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I switched from being an avid PC user since DOS to a Mac in 2010 for business reasons. Took me two weeks to get the hang of OSX. I very rarely use Windows anymore and am now an avid Apple user.